Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new fuzz...

Just thought I'd share some news;

I'm coming along with a new fuzz pedal I've been working on for the last couple of months; I've finished prototyping and am happy with the design, and I've started the first build today.

It's loosely based on an Aron Nelson design; tri-transistor base with a trimpot for circuit tuning. It's also going to have switchable/variable volume boost (up to 12dB), making this a 2 switch pedal. The knobs will be:

Master volume, fuzz, tone, boost level and boost mids (I find it helps cut through amazingly in conjunction with the volume boost)

It makes for a super-versatile (and none too tame!) fuzz with a fairly bassy modern feel, but still fairly vintage sounding at lower gain settings.

I already have a hell of a waiting list for this baby, but if anyone's interested I'll chuck you on the list. I'm charging pretty much cost of parts, which will be about 30 unfinished, 38 finished (I get my decals done professionally ) but I have to warn you I'm exceptionally busy with moving house next week, and it's likely you'll have to wait several months

Anyways, here's a couple of pics of the main board which I did today...

Jonny
    2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
    2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
    Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
    Laney TT-20 + cab
    Marshall DSL50
    Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Re: The new fuzz...

Looks neat.
    Using three transistors for assymetrical clipping??
    The trim looks like bottom/gain trimmer.
    Love to hear it, love fuzz.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It is a bottom trimmer, nice one!

The circuit is very finicky and by swapping some resistors of the same type I get very variable results; hence the 47k trimpot; it allows a bit of tuning.

I'll get some clips up when she's done
      Laney TT-20 + cab
      Marshall DSL50

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

Comment

Thanks sounds good.
        Yeah we have a few trims in our stuff as well, otherwise we end up with all kinds kinds of nasty hum

Comment

I had some shocking problems with hum when prototyping; i discovered it was due to the gain stage for the boost bit.

After several frustrating attempts at getting rid of it, I separated the stage from the main board and put it on its own little board, and dipped the beeatch in wax a la pickups. No problems now!

Talk about the brute force method...
          Laney TT-20 + cab
          Marshall DSL50

Comment

I don't know sh*t about electronics in pedals... is that all you need to make a fuzz?
            EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            G&L Tribute Comanche
            Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

After several frustrating attempts at getting rid of it, I separated the stage from the main board and put it on its own little board, and dipped the beeatch in wax a la pickups. No problems now!

Talk about the brute force method...
              Lol but it cured the little sucker
              I don't know sh*t about electronics in pedals... is that all you need to make a fuzz?
              Try to open up a Fuzzface one day....there is next to nothing in that one

Comment

Working...
              X