Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new fuzz...

Just thought I'd share some news;

I'm coming along with a new fuzz pedal I've been working on for the last couple of months; I've finished prototyping and am happy with the design, and I've started the first build today.

It's loosely based on an Aron Nelson design; tri-transistor base with a trimpot for circuit tuning. It's also going to have switchable/variable volume boost (up to 12dB), making this a 2 switch pedal. The knobs will be:

Master volume, fuzz, tone, boost level and boost mids (I find it helps cut through amazingly in conjunction with the volume boost)

It makes for a super-versatile (and none too tame!) fuzz with a fairly bassy modern feel, but still fairly vintage sounding at lower gain settings.

I already have a hell of a waiting list for this baby, but if anyone's interested I'll chuck you on the list. I'm charging pretty much cost of parts, which will be about £30 unfinished, £38 finished (I get my decals done professionally ) but I have to warn you I'm exceptionally busy with moving house next week, and it's likely you'll have to wait several months

Anyways, here's a couple of pics of the main board which I did today...

Jonny
    2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
    2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
    Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
    Laney TT-20 + cab
    Marshall DSL50
    Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Re: The new fuzz...

Looks neat.
    Using three transistors for assymetrical clipping??
    The trim looks like bottom/gain trimmer.
    Love to hear it, love fuzz.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment

It is a bottom trimmer, nice one!

The circuit is very finicky and by swapping some resistors of the same type I get very variable results; hence the 47k trimpot; it allows a bit of tuning.

I'll get some clips up when she's done
      Laney TT-20 + cab
      Marshall DSL50

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

Comment

Thanks sounds good.
        Yeah we have a few trims in our stuff as well, otherwise we end up with all kinds kinds of nasty hum

Comment

I had some shocking problems with hum when prototyping; i discovered it was due to the gain stage for the boost bit.

After several frustrating attempts at getting rid of it, I separated the stage from the main board and put it on its own little board, and dipped the beeatch in wax a la pickups. No problems now!

Talk about the brute force method...
          Laney TT-20 + cab
          Marshall DSL50

Comment

I don't know sh*t about electronics in pedals... is that all you need to make a fuzz?
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

After several frustrating attempts at getting rid of it, I separated the stage from the main board and put it on its own little board, and dipped the beeatch in wax a la pickups. No problems now!

Talk about the brute force method...
              Lol but it cured the little sucker
              I don't know sh*t about electronics in pedals... is that all you need to make a fuzz?
              Try to open up a Fuzzface one day....there is next to nothing in that one

Comment

Working...
              X