What speakers do you use!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What speakers do you use!?!?!

I always hear alot of talk about amps and tubes and all sorts of other tone related stuff, but nobody ever talks about speakers. What speakers do you guys use and which would you recommend for classic rock, blues, metal, jazz, fusion, or a good all around speaker ( i mean 1 kind of speaker for each genre) OPINIONS!
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: What speakers do you use!?!?!

I use Celestion Vintage 30's. I think its a good overall speaker and it goes well with my 5150.
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

I've actually tried several different types of speakers. IMO they are one of the most important aspects of your tone chain. I've used the following:

Celestion GT-75's
      Celestion V30
      Heritage by Celestion
      Eminence V12 (Celestion V30 clone)

To my ears, and for my style of music (hard rock, classic rock, old school metal) the V12's are the best I have tried. They are smooth and rich, with just the right amount of bass, midrange and treble. I can't really help much with Jazz, Fusion, Country. The V12's are a great all around speaker IMO. One line of speakers I am really curious about are the new Eminence Redcoats and Patriot line of speakers, they are supposed to be the bomb, and they are made in the USA, unlike Celestion who recently switched to China.

Weber and Jensen also make a very fine line of speakers. These + the one's I mentioned above are the one's I see talked about here the most.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

what's a good set of speakers for a 50 watt 4 ohm 2 speaker combo?
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

i want more headroom, less speaker distortion-would a higher wattage rated speaker help, and would boarding the back of the combo also help?

Comment

dude......im gettin a new 2x12 cab with Eminence Tonker speakers.......... there in the redcoat line of Eminence Jeff was talking about above........ they handle 150 watts each and are very clear with good bass and nice treble response.......

ill give ya a review once i get teh cab
            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
            >cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
              i want more headroom, less speaker distortion-would a higher wattage rated speaker help, and would boarding the back of the combo also help?

You just described Weber California 12's.

Closed backs will give you a different, much different bass response. But, unless the enclosure is "tuned" for closed back, it might not sound right.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've got a set of Eminence Red Fangs in my Bad Cat. They are alnico, similar to the very expensive Celestion Alnico blues.

I've put a set of Texas Heats (eminence) in my Pro Reverb and they remind of the classic american jensens c12n a bit, but much smoother overall.

I've also ordered a set of 10" Eminence Copperheads for my new 5F4 Mission Kit.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Additionally, I'm currently running a greenback celestion in my Tweed Deluxe. Very good fit.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Eminence GB12s in one cab and Eminence 122 alnico 35 watters in the other. To of the best sounding cabs I have ever heard, nothing can touch those speakers for the price.
                    ]
                    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

scott, how are the red fangs-are they redcoat or patriot?i heard them on guitar one's sample cd, i really liked the eminence blue tick hound and one of the redcoat one's that were designed to sound marshall stackish. Are eminence speakers pricey? Do they perform nicely in an open back combo?

Comment

get eminence from Avatarspeakers.com most of them he has there are under $80, and some are more like $50 or $60.......cept the Rand Fangs are over $100
                        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                        >cord<
                        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I'm a big fan of Classic Lead 80s. Good headroom, nice balanced tone without being harsh.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                          My Music

Comment

daaaamn those are expensive! im not used to speaker prices being over 100 bucks. are there any other nice sounding alnicos for less?

Comment

I'm currently using Greenbacks although I'm thinking of switching over to Eminence GB12's or one of the Redcoat series stuff. Although I'm not sure which one to choose, theres so many variations. I like everything about the greenbacks although a bump more mids and higher wattage (for more heardroom) would be nice. I'm not a fan of Vintage 30's... something about their sound just doesn't gel with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X