I like GHS Boomers, sorry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I like GHS Boomers, sorry!

I actually like the rainbow balls. I think it gives it a little "spice" to your guitar, but hopefully not in a "spice" girl sense. I always said that I never liked D'addario's, but just recently I found out that the only D'addario's that my local shop carries are stainless steel. I've never ever liked stainless steel strings, so that would clear that up. Now, if I could just get ahold of some nickle D'addario's.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I've tried just about everything but I've played GHS Boomers for years.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I've tried the gambit of strings out there, but always end up with the Boomer TNT's on my guitars.
        PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
        PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
        GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
        Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
        Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
        various pedals

Comment

Havent tried the boomers but i have played the GHS Super steels, my favourite guitar string! I have ordered GHS strings for my upcoming P-bass! I'll tell you how they are if somebody is interested
          100% Bass player

Comment

GHS are one of the few electric strings i still havent tried...

i oughta get a set soon to see what all the fuss is about
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I got a set of boomers on my drop c guitar because that's the only set of strings they had close to the guages i wanted. Sound good but i can't get them to stay in tune. every other song i have to tune and i know it's not the guitar because i had ernie ball beefy slinky's on it and never had a problem. Next time i will go back to those.

I used DR's for 2 years. On my strat they worked great but soon as i started using them on my wolfgang and RG i would break them on each within a week.

been using D'addario's for 4-5 years and they get the job done.
              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Originally posted by Chi3f
                I got a set of boomers on my drop c guitar because that's the only set of strings they had close to the guages i wanted. Sound good but i can't get them to stay in tune. every other song i have to tune and i know it's not the guitar because i had ernie ball beefy slinky's on it and never had a problem. Next time i will go back to those.
                That's odd. I started using GHS for the same reason (the 13-56 set for drop C). Mine stay in tune for days though.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                  I used to always play EB Power Slinky's. I've always avoided GHS because "Boomers" always sounded silly to me. I ended up trying them because at the time non of the local stores carried any other string brands that had .013 guage sets.

Now they're my main string (I have them on two of my three guitars). I like how bright they sound, and they last reasonably long too.
                  Yes, and Power Slinky's sound so much less silly!

Sorry, I had to poke a little fun, no offense intended bro!

Comment

I would think the GHS Nickel Rockers would not be good for high gain since they would be darker??

I have been using Boomers for about 2-3 religiously without problems so maybe I should take the approach; why fix what ain't broke! They stay in tune just as well as any other string, feel fine, and sound fine. I hear rumors of them being too dark and muddy. Think about it, would Zakk Wylde be using such heavy gauges of Boomers if they were muddy?

I have a fresh set of Boomers on my McCarty with several 10 gauge brands including Dean Markley Nickel Steels, DR tite fit, D'Addario, and Ernie Ball Slinkys waiting to go on next so I'll have some first hand comparisons and I'll post the findings on the board. I'll try to keep everything else consistent so as not to screw up the little test. The one thing is that our hands will all react differently to various brands, not sure why. I say this because how much difference can there really be between brands? I am going to be looking at tuning, tone, resonance, feel, and longevity.

I can't wait to try the DR tite fits. I want to stick with strings that are readily available to me and I like that I can get any gauge sets of GHS Boomers I desire.

Can using odd or custom sets screw with the neck assuming I have a professional set up? I assume not since look at how many guys use light tops and heavy bottoms with little issue. Plus, I have been using a custom set of 11-54 in drop C# with minimal issues. I just assumed that string manufacturers try to make set that are consistent in tension and feel and hence assist in maintaining a strong and straight neck.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                      Yes, and Power Slinky's sound so much less silly!

Sorry, I had to poke a little fun, no offense intended bro!

No offence taken.

Honestly, I always felt like a d*ck asking for "Power Slinky's" at the store...

I would think the GHS Nickel Rockers would not be good for high gain since they would be darker??
                      There's only one way to find out for sure, and that's to test them yourself.

I have been using Boomers for about 2-3 religiously without problems so maybe I should take the approach; why fix what ain't broke! They stay in tune just as well as any other string, feel fine, and sound fine. I hear rumors of them being too dark and muddy. Think about it, would Zakk Wylde be using such heavy gauges of Boomers if they were muddy?
                      Muddy? I found GHS was brighter than EB, and held that brightness longer. The thing I like about EB is that they sound old after three days (I like that), but the GHS strings don't seem to do that.

...snip....

Can using odd or custom sets screw with the neck assuming I have a professional set up? I assume not since look at how many guys use light tops and heavy bottoms with little issue. Plus, I have been using a custom set of 11-54 in drop C# with minimal issues. I just assumed that string manufacturers try to make set that are consistent in tension and feel and hence assist in maintaining a strong and straight neck.
                      Someone else with more experience can probably answer better than I can, but I'd say that light top heavy bottom sets are fine. The biggest concern that I'm aware of is cracking your nut if you put heavy ass low strings on without having your nut cut for them.

I use an 11-56 set (GHS ZWLO) in standard on my Les Paul, and a 13-70 set (GHS DYM) in drop C on my Strat (I buy a box of each and swap the 6th string between the two sets).
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

A lot of people say this or that string is brighter but I can't hear a difference between D'Addario and GHS Boomers. I'll see what happens with the DR tite fits, Dean Markleys and EBs.

Comment

Anyone know anything about those DR Dimebag Darrel strings?

Comment

I wonder if I'll ever forgive you.

Comment

Is anyone familiar with those DR High Voltage strings??

Comment

I find that the GHS Boomers brake a little easier than EB's. Or maybe that's just something I've gotten into my head. I do like that they do 0.095 gauge sets...
                                || The Livin' Kitchen: www.livinkitchen.tk
                                || The Hellacopters: www.hellacopters.tk

Comment

Working...
                                X