Tube help! (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube help! (again)

Ok, the tubes I need are 6V6's. Are there any specific brands that will give me a good OD faster? And if I continue to use 6v6, will I have to re-bias my amp? And what is bias anyway?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Tube help! (again)

by 6v6 do you mean 6L6??

I believe the bias on a tube amp is which type of tube the amp is specifically set up for: either 6L6's or EL34's.

as for re-biasing, it all depends on what type of tube your amp runs on already... 6v6.... *shrugs*
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

No, I mean 6v6. My amp was made in 1949.
      Last edited by beandip; 08-22-2004, 12:39 AM.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

wow.

Comment

6V6s tend to breakup a little sooner than 6L6s. I use NOS JAN 6V6s
          in my Princeton. There pricey and breakup later than your average
          6V6. Take a look at the EH 6V6s this guy has may be what your looking
          for? I've done Biz with him B4 he's pretty good.
          the tube store
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I've never had any problems with Sovtek tubes. 6V6s don't have as much output as 6L6s, but they're still a good sounding tube.
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

I've had bad luck with russian 6V6's. The bias is what controls the balance of current between the two output tubes (I think..). Someone with more knowledge can provide a better explaination.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

I used the EH's in a deluxe reverb I had for awhile, great sounding tube. Replacing the power tubes will probably require a rebias - I'm pretty sure your amp is fixed bias (meaning changing the bias will require replacing a resistor) so you may want to run it by a good amp tech to have it checked out and biased. Old amps have paper and oil caps and carbon comp resistors that do go bad, if you haven't already replaced them the tech can check them for you and replace any bad components.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X