Calling all luthier's and guitar techs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all luthier's and guitar techs

A recent post in one of my threads got me thinking about this. You see guitars with two point fulcrum bridges, or locking bridges, roller saddles, the trem setter, graphite and roller nuts, graphite and rolling string trees, and other stuff. Does anyone else feel that these things came about because of lack of knowledge? I've said it before, and I'll continue to say it, a strat, with a 6 screw bridge and standard nut, ect., when set up properly and well, can take all the wiggle you can give it. I've done it before, until I found out that I like strats with the trem blocked. Anyone else share this, or am I alone?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Calling all luthier's and guitar techs

It's tough to Improve on a Classic Design. But people will. It's human
    nature to build a better mouse trap. Most of these's new Idea's are pretty
    good. But I'm with you, I perfer the vintage 6 bolt trem above all.
    I can't play a guitar w/t a floating trem? Just the way i play I guess ?
    I rest my hand on the bridge ( IT GOES SHARP ON ME ?) Bad techniquic
    on my part ? Lots of players love floyd rose's and swear by them.
    That's cool, But for me playing a guitar w/t a floyd is like hav'in
    some strange houseware appliance bolted to my guitar.
    Don't flame me Floyd lover's just not my cup of tea.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I think it is a matter of personal taste... I am sure people it isn't as dumb as we usually like to think. This things have a tremendous effect on the tone of the guitar, sometimes bigger than a pickup. And they are quite cheaper...

For example, the material of the bridge it is very important in the resultant tone. This is it very noticiable in a telecaster: is the bridge it is made of brass the resultant tone will be treblier that if it is made of stainess still. Or the danelectros, a very important part of the tone cames from the aluminiun nut and the rosewood bridge, not only from the lipstick pickups...

Comment

Disclaimer: I'm neither a luthier or guitar tech. But, I'm with you in theory, I think that things should be kept simple. On the other hand, I like some of the ideas with modern trems, like the graphite and roller-type nuts. As mentioned before, I'd agree that the type of metals which are used have a profound impact on tone. For example, I think that most of the cheap pot-metal-type saddles do not do your tone much justice. Just my 2 cents.
        Last edited by casblah; 08-22-2004, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I do some tech work and I agree with you wholeheartedly, a properly set up strat with a nicely cut bone nut, a six point trem, and Kluson style tuners can stay in tune very well. My MIJ 62RI with these components stays in tune just as well as my friend's MIA with Sperzels, LSR roller nut, Grephtech saddles and string tree, and two point trem.

Now for the other side of the coin:

How many players know how to properly string a strat with vintage style tuners? Out of those that do, how many regular players know how to properly set up a vintage style strat? How many know how to properly cut and file their own nuts?

I like the tremsetter on full floating bridges (like the Wilkinson on my Carvin) because it lets me play with a harder attack and not get flutter and also lets me bend without pulling the other strings flat.

LSR saddles are awesome because they let you run any guage from .08 to .60 without having to reshape the nut slots, strings won't bind, and the slots will NEVFER wear out.

Two point trems came about because of player modifications. Some strat players found that when you loosen the 4 middle screws on a strat bridge and use the outer two for most of the support, your strat stays in tune better. I do this on my strat and it works.

I like keeping things simple on my own guitars, but for the player who is limited in their knowledge to changin strings and tuning their instrument and only take their guitars to be serviced occasionaly, these developments are a godsend.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
          X