Speaker Question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Question..

As some know i am in the planning process of building a 2X12 cab, I was considering some speaker combinations , V30 and Greenback , 2xV30s, 2 eminence V12's ..I also though that what if i used a high wattage speaker, somewhere like 150watts each..Would this give me a little more headroom than say using a V30,
    Ive decided i want a tighter sound from it, so would a higher wattage be more "transparent" and give a tighter and more clarity to the sound..? ala the eminence ledgend 121?

+ Im going to go with a Pine cabinet..

Also if i was going to have it so i could switch between 4 and 16 ohms, 2X 8 ohm speakers would do that right? serial = 16 and parallel = 4 ..? and if i set it stereo it would be 8 and 8..

Cheers..

y2stevo
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Speaker Question..

Are you going to use this with the DSL, or the Line 6?

If you're using it for the Line 6 primarily, I think the higher wattage and cleaner the speakers are the better. This will let the Line 6 provide the tone, and the clean speakers will not color it at all.

For tight rock tones, it's tough to beat the Eminence V12's. I'd also consider one of the new Redcoat series.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Louder amp = louder speakers. Use the speakers with more wattage, because there's nothing wrong with powerful speakers. It should add clarity to your amps
      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
        Also if i was going to have it so i could switch between 4 and 16 ohms, 2X 8 ohm speakers would do that right? serial = 16 and parallel = 4 ..? and if i set it stereo it would be 8 and 8..

y2stevo
        The only thing I can comment on is this - and you are correct.

Comment

I swear by Emminence speakers. Best bang for the money.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
            Are you going to use this with the DSL, or the Line 6?

If you're using it for the Line 6 primarily, I think the higher wattage and cleaner the speakers are the better. This will let the Line 6 provide the tone, and the clean speakers will not color it at all.

For tight rock tones, it's tough to beat the Eminence V12's. I'd also consider one of the new Redcoat series.
            I doubt id be even able to afford half of what the vetta costs for a year at least unfortunatly so the DSL, But i was looking slightly in the long run that the more powerful speakers would be needed for a vetta, but thats quiet a bit in the long run.. Mainly i want a little tighter and more clarity than what the 4 g12t-75s are giving out on my 4x12..

I finally got to test the DSL out today with the Weber Mass and it really does produce killer tones (at 4 at least, cant go any higher without deafining myself and too much attenuation really sucks tone)..At about 4 on OD channel without the Mass it seems to get a little too loose for doing fast metal riffs (i.e. Battery - Metallica) but it totally nails AC/DC or anything thats not thrash metal fast to the cross..
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

If you want total clarity, go with an Electro Voice 12L. I use one in a sealed back cab with my Bassman sometimes and its so clean it's scary. It really lets you hammer the amp without adding any distortion of it's own. I do belevie Eminence makes a good copy of this speaker. One thing though, these speakers are heavy, very, very heavy.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
              X