HSS strat 250k or 500k pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS strat 250k or 500k pots?

Hi guys! I want to put a pearly gates plus in my strat, I already have texas specials in the neck and middle possitions. Can I keep my standard pots, or should I put in a 500k for the humbucker? I am only planning on wiring it up like this N, N+M, M, M+split hum, Humbucker. Thanks guys
    sigpic
    GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
    PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
    AMP: Fender DeVille

Re: HSS strat 250k or 500k pots?

If you find the bucker to be too dark you can throw in a 500K pot for the volume and that will brighten it up some. Just experiment and have fun.
    MIM Fender Strat-stock
    Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
    Dean V X- 85/81
    Crybaby From Hell
    Ibanez DE7
    ADA MP-1
    Furman EQ
    Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Trust me on this....You won't find the PG+ dark....it's just the opposite and I've used it....Go with the 250k in your strat...The PG+ is pretty toppy,in fact I went with something like a .056 tone cap to tame that PG+ back a bit with 250k pots...Thats a bright pickup...Great sounding though..The Texas Specials I don't care for but thats just me...

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

When I asked about this before, the consensus was that 250k works well with both single coils and humbuckers.

After poking around my Grosh and checking out the electronics, I found out that the volume and tone knobs are both CTS brand 250k. The blend pot (for what it's worth) is 500k. If a boutique guitar builder is using the same setup guys are saying on this board, there's definitely truth there. Hope that helps
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Well, just check out my signature to see if I qualify for an educated opinion

I, too, was a bit unsure about what to do, so I just left the 250K pots in there and set everything up. Its a very nice sound. I do still wonder what my PG would sound like at 500K, but its nice to have a different sound. I have a JB in my LP, so I have that rock distortion sound pretty well covered. The PG w/ 250K pots is a nice, warm sound. And hey, like some others have said, if you don't like it, it'll only take you a few bucks and a little extra time to change to 500K.

Comment

Working...
          X