What's the best size frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best size frets?

I'm thinking about ordering a Carvin custom shop, and am not sure what size frets to get on the neck. It comes standard with medium jumbo, but it can come with any size you want. I've played vintage size frets on strats and didn't like them. I've also played jumbo on Esp's and Schecters and found them just a little hard to get used to. What's everyone opinions on fret sizes. Which is the most easy to play barre chords, bend strings, best tone, whatever. I've read that extra tall frets actually are a little like playing a scalloped fretboard. What do all you guys prefer, and what do you recommend?

Re: What's the best size frets?

For me it's the medium jumbo's. They're nice for an all around guitar, and seem to suite most styles of music fairly well....kind of the "one size fits all" fret. Unless your specializing your guitar for Jazz, or country, or something else, mj's are my choice.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Well personally I prefer the narrow and tall 6105, It just feels better to me, I think generally biger frets make it easier for bending
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I used to like shallow, wide frets... but I switched to jumbos, the bigger the better! Easier to bend, easier to feel where you are on the fretboard, seem to give more tone (though it's debatable whether larger frets actually do give more tone). Personal preference though... go to a guitar shop, try out a few guitars, figure out what you like best.
        dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

I agree with Jeff, medium jumbos are a nice compromise between short and jumbo frets. For my tastes though, they're a little too small. I learned to play on an electric with Dunlop 6105 frets, which are tall and narrow. Taller frets make it easier to bend strings, easier to slide, easier to hammer and pull off...on the other hand, it's a little easier to play chords with shorter frets, as there is always the tendency to pull chords out of tune with jumbo frets. That's more of a sloppy technique problem than a jumbo fret problem, but it's something to consider. My Hamer has medium jumbo frets, and one thing I noticed right away was that I was feeling more of the fretboard with my fingers. On my Wolfgang, that's not a problem because the frets are taller, and my fingers don't drag against the fretboard as much. My Hamer is in need of some fret work, so I'm going to have the medium jumbos replaced with Dunlop 6100 or 6105 fretwire.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

"Best" size is, of course, totally subjective, but I like large frets. Dunlap 6100s are the current choice, but I do have a Flying V that has 6000s on it. Definitely a fun guitar to play. All of my main instruments have 6100s.
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Best frets from Carvin? The medium jumbos in Stainless. It's a bit more, but you'll get a really long life from them.

BTW, which model are you getting? I have a DC127T that kills for the price.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
              X