banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you decide on your FIRST guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you decide on your FIRST guitar?

Usually, your second and subsequent guitars are based on your experiences, advice and a more in-depth knowledge of guitars in general. When you bought your first guitar, however, what were you going on? A recommendation from a friend? Could you play well enough to test some out in the store? Did you decide based on what your guitar hero played?

Personally, I wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for David Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb. Finding out he played a Strat got me partially hooked and seeing how many other great players used them got me interested in Fender in the first place. I also decided that Strats look cooler than just about any other guitar on earth. I also had a friend that took lessons from the local Fender dealership and he showed me around and introduced me to the guy who sold me my first axe.

Anyone else?
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: How did you decide on your FIRST guitar?

My first guitar guitar was a gift. Then, I found out SRV played a strat, and traded my Hondo LP and Huffy bike for a Squire strat, and never looked back.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

my first acoustic (76 takamine) was free because it was my dads and he didn't want to play anymore. My first electric was 80 bucks on ebay! And it was ugly and flourescent yellow. I was 14 and had bad taste, so I went for it.

dan

editted to add pic. like that, except yellow. And at one point I put a DD hotrail neck pickup.
      Last edited by danglybanger; 08-22-2004, 08:03 PM.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

My first guitar was a shot in the dark...something that had killer looks and "those two big pickups"... A BC Rich Mockingbird Bronze Series.

My "FIRST" guitar was a Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and while I always loved Gibby LPs, it was a friend's Custom Epi that had me drooling.

Comment

i have like 1 music store within a 2 hour drive radius around my house, and its not that great so i dont really have much of a choice other than buying online.

with that said my first bass i was shopping on MF and had several basses picked out in my price range(under 200). i talked to a couple friends and then it was down to a rouge and an ibanez. i got the ibanez and i made a great choice. (later down the road i came to hate rouge with an extreme passion).

my first guitar.........i just got it on thursday . i was shopping on MF with a price limit of 250 and i saw a epi SG, and it came in vintage white. when i saw that white SG i fell in love so i bought it. 3 months later it arrives

they were both great buys, i wanted to put up some pictures when i got the SG but my software that uploads pics from my camera is all messed up
          The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Cool stories, everybody.

Originally posted by beandip
            traded my Hondo LP and Huffy bike for a Squire strat, and never looked back.
            You have good taste. Squiers are great guitars for beginners.

Originally posted by Cowboy Dan!?
            i saw a epi SG, and it came in vintage white. when i saw that white SG i fell in love so i bought it.
            Post pics when you get them! I actually like the G310. I was going to get it (many a year ago) but went with the Epi LP Standard instead. The G310 is really cool, though.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

My first guitar which I still have, was the only left handed guitar in the store so I bought it, had no choice......
              Gear:
              Gauge Custom Guitars Double Cutaway
              1988 Strat (copy)
              Voodoo AmpsV-Plex 100w
              Voodoo amps 20:20 and 50:50 cables
              Bob Burt Custom CabinetsCustom 2x12 cab

For Sale:

Comment

My first axe is the one i still have: an Epiphone Special SG. i just remember seeing tony iommi with an SG, so i saw this one and thought well, it's made my epiphone which is made by gibson so it shouldnt be too different. i was wrong.

it was a good beginner's guitar tho...
                :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Comment

First guitar was a Fender Lead III. I bought it because it was the only guitar I could afford ($360 new with HSC) at the PX and still have enough for an amp.
                  ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                    Usually, your second and subsequent guitars are based on your experiences, advice and a more in-depth knowledge of guitars in general. When you bought your first guitar, however, what were you going on? A recommendation from a friend? Could you play well enough to test some out in the store? Did you decide based on what your guitar hero played?

Personally, I wouldn't even be playing if it weren't for David Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb. Finding out he played a Strat got me partially hooked and seeing how many other great players used them got me interested in Fender in the first place. I also decided that Strats look cooler than just about any other guitar on earth. I also had a friend that took lessons from the local Fender dealership and he showed me around and introduced me to the guy who sold me my first axe.

Anyone else?
                    Most of the players I grew up loving and listening to played strats...It made it real easy for me to want a strat and now I Own like 6 of em...Later it was les pauls,SGs,and teles though...
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

My first guitars were my dads. I inherited them upon his death. One was an 89 Fender HM Strat, the other was a Fender Custom Shop Tele that used to be my Grandfathers. The Tele was stolen by a family member before I recieved it....
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have to be totally honest, though.... when I first started playing, I didn't know the difference between a humbucker and a single-coil. I had done enough research to know brand names and what guitars looked like, but I didn't understand the "guts" until a bit later. That was about the time I fell in love with the concept of Fat Strats....
                        - David St. Hubbins

Comment

I had no clue either! Except I wanted a humbucker cause I liked the name and it was bigger physically. Which I guess meant something to me. I had no clue what the pickup selector switch did either. It was wired wrong anyway, so it didn't matter.

So seems like the leading reasons so far are inheritence, looks, cost and peer pressure.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                            I have to be totally honest, though.... when I first started playing, I didn't know the difference between a humbucker and a single-coil. I had done enough research to know brand names and what guitars looked like, but I didn't understand the "guts" until a bit later. That was about the time I fell in love with the concept of Fat Strats....
                            I'd been playing guitar for about two years when someone asked what kind of humbucker I had in my guitar.

I just gave him a blank look, since I didn't know what a humbucker was.

Then he pointed to the humbucker and I replied "Oh, the big one."

Did I ever feel dumb.
                            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Myt drummer still calls them "humdingers" or "humdingys" LOL
                              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X