No announcement yet.

Any guitar electronics/wiring experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any guitar electronics/wiring experts?

this is for a les paul. i need some advice on eliminating ground loops. say if i have the entire control cavity shielded, and with the washers of the pots touching the shielding foil(assuming there is conductivity), should i remove the ground wiring that connects all the back of the 4 pots together? i'll still be running a bridge ground though(connected to the back of the neck volume pot).

this is how i'm gonna wire it

wiring diagram

and also will it work if i switch the position of the pickup and toggle switch wires on the volume pots for individual volume control when in the middle position? i read from the stewmac website that it'll work with modern-style wiring but i'm not sure if it will for the 50s style(see diagram). Thanks!

Re: Any guitar electronics/wiring experts?

You should remove the ground loops, and probably the wire to the bridge, since your ground will be contained within the cavity (you probably should also sheild the cover too). I dunno about the switching stuff, I'm not that good at it yet.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

i would remove the ground loops, but i've read that the bridge ground is essential. i just don't know if i'm grounding the shield correctly with the circuit.

Comment

hmm...maybe on an LP it's different, but I know on strats that you should remove the wire running to the bridge/trem claw. If your LP has buckers (I'm assuming?) then you shouldnt need to sheild it.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by ironickel
          this is for a les paul. i need some advice on eliminating ground loops. say if i have the entire control cavity shielded, and with the washers of the pots touching the shielding foil(assuming there is conductivity), should i remove the ground wiring that connects all the back of the 4 pots together? i'll still be running a bridge ground though(connected to the back of the neck volume pot).

this is how i'm gonna wire it

wiring diagram

and also will it work if i switch the position of the pickup and toggle switch wires on the volume pots for individual volume control when in the middle position? i read from the stewmac website that it'll work with modern-style wiring but i'm not sure if it will for the 50s style(see diagram). Thanks!
          I, personally, dont know a way of using 2 volume pots to control 2 pickups seperately and simltaniously, but then again, i dont know how to do a lot of stuff.. haha

Comment

Working...
          X