new guitar!(pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guitar!(pictures)

ive been playing bass for around a year and a half now, and i decided to learn a little guitar. i decided on buying an epi g310. i got it last thurs and wanted to post pictures but i just got my camera working. overall i think it was an awesome buy. i fell in love with the way the guitar looks and feels. ive been playing it like 24/7 since i got it and i had already decimated a heavy pick.(you can see orange pick powder between my humbuckers in one of the pics ). i think i may be picking too hard though, a habbit brought over from playing bass. anyway i was thinking about putting on creme pickup rings and putting in a dd/59 combo(cream and black pup covers). what do you guys think? how will those pups sound in an alder body with mahogany neck?

Last edited by Cowboy Dan!?; 08-23-2004, 07:15 PM.
    The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Re: new guitar!(pictures)

Dan, that's a figgin awsome guitar. Nooow, how about those basses?
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Cool guitar, bro. Change out the pots while you're working on the pickups and you'll have a kickin' axe for sure.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

cool man, enjoy it!
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Nice axe, dude! I'd put a '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge both zebra of course.
          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

thanks guys
            Originally posted by Benjy_26
            Cool guitar, bro. Change out the pots while you're working on the pickups and you'll have a kickin' axe for sure.
            i have several q's about pots i hope you might take the time to answer(when it comes to pots i have no knowledge whatsoever):
            do they really make it sound a lot better?
            if i buy new ones how will i know if they are better than the stock ones?
            would i be able to figure out how to put them in pretty easily?
            i always hear about how some site stocks certain good brandnames but when i look at them i dont see any brandnames just "500k pot" or something.

i also hear people say that when you get an epi you should change out all the hardware, but it stays in tune extremely well, is there another reason for this?

ive learned so much from the people on this site, and im still learning. so heres a big thanks to everyone on the forum
            The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Dan!?
              i have several q's about pots i hope you might take the time to answer(when it comes to pots i have no knowledge whatsoever):
              do they really make it sound a lot better?
              They can effect the tone a bit but my main motive for changing pots and switch was for reliability. The Korean and chinese electronics are notoriously unreliable.

if i buy new ones how will i know if they are better than the stock ones?
              Buy from a reliable American manufacturer, like Mouser Electronics you can Google them.

would i be able to figure out how to put them in pretty easily?
              Easiest way I've found to keep everything organized during a swap out of components is to take a few digital photos of the component cavity BEFORE you unsolder or remove anything.

i always hear about how some site stocks certain good brandnames but when i look at them i dont see any brandnames just "500k pot" or something.
              If the site is non specific about the origins of its components and they won't tell you via email then go to the next shop.

i also hear people say that when you get an epi you should change out all the hardware, but it stays in tune extremely well, is there another reason for this?
              When I upgraded my Epi LP I only changed the PUPs, pots, pup switch, cord jack, jack plate (went from plastic to chrome) and the nut. I saw no need to change the bridge or stop tail.

ive learned so much from the people on this site, and im still learning. so heres a big thanks to everyone on the forum
              Your Welcome
              ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

thanks alot man! i think i might run with that pearly gates too!

Comment

is the headstock gold or is it just a weird angle... either case I like it alot! Good choice.

If you're happy enough with the hardware and it stays in tune you don't need to change it. If you pick up any brand of pot at a respectable electronics/music shop (warmoth, stewmac), it's bound to be better quality than the ones in your Epi. Correct me if I'm wrong but humbucker equipped guitars normally use 500k pots, and a lower value pot would make the guitar sound warmer. I don't necessarily think better quality pots will make your instrument sound better, but they will be less scratchy and higher quality over time. My Epi (EB0 bass) had very scratchy pots when I bought it new, and they eventually quit working altogether.

congratulations on a good looking guitar
                  dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Originally posted by texasguitarslinger
                    They can effect the tone a bit but my main motive for changing pots and switch was for reliability. The Korean and chinese electronics are notoriously unreliable.

Buy from a reliable American manufacturer, like Mouser Electronics you can Google them.

Easiest way I've found to keep everything organized during a swap out of components is to take a few digital photos of the component cavity BEFORE you unsolder or remove anything.

If the site is non specific about the origins of its components and they won't tell you via email then go to the next shop.

When I upgraded my Epi LP I only changed the PUPs, pots, pup switch, cord jack, jack plate (went from plastic to chrome) and the nut. I saw no need to change the bridge or stop tail.

Your Welcome
                    What he said. Also, you might not have to go online to get quality parts. Dimarzio repacks CTS pots and switchcraft switches. Your local music store should stock these.

My personal choice in pickups for an axe like that wuold be PGn and Custom bridge. The Pg at the bridge might not bring enough wallop in a thin alder body like your SG's.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X