Tubes (again, sorry!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes (again, sorry!)

Ok, I've narrowed it down to two tubes, it's all a matter of which one clips faster.

This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: Tubes (again, sorry!)

I'd say that early breakup has as much to do with the way the amp is biased as the brand of tube. Also, a batch of tubes will vary.

I'd suggest talking to Todd at Revolution, or Bob at Eurotubes, and telling them what you want.

Also, it might help to know if your circuit has an adjustable bias (a bias pot).

of the two tubes, I like the JJ better, not because it has earlier breakup, but because it's built better. The JJs have a great tone, and can hold up in circuits like the Deluxe Reverb that are notoriously hard on power tubes.
    the JJ is physically larger than most other 6V6s, and has a tone to match its size ... it might soon prove to be the most popular 6V6 for a current production tube
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

What Curly said, power tube saturation has probably more to do with the circuit of the amp thier in than the tube manufacturer or grade of the tube. Older amps, I think in the last post you indicated it was made in 49', weren't made with a smooth overdrive in mind. Also, make sure you check the plate voltages in your amp, the old RCA 6V6's could handle a ton of voltage on the plates which will fry some newer made 6V6's - the EH's are the only maker I know manufacturing a 6V6 that can handle plate voltages above 375 volts, I think they rate thiers at being able to handle up to 450 volts (I used EH's in a bivalve I used to have, I could leave the voltage on high with no problems - a groove tube I use lasted about 2 minutes at the high voltage setting).

Personally I like JJ tubes, I've tried various grades of Groove Tubes, EH's, Svets and found the JJ's to be the most consistent and longest lasting tubes around (as compared with new tube manufacturers). They are a little darker than say Svets or EH's but overall they're very smooth and solid.

Comment

also, tube type has alot to do with how early it will break up and how tight it can sound. el34 and el84 break up early, 6v6 comes next, then 6L6, KT66, then 6550 and KT88. some of this has to do with the vacuum that is inside the tube. el34 and el84 are soft vacuum tubes. the others have a much higher vacuum inside. ill see if can find some data to back this up. dont forget the geometry of the tubes, too.

germ
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

I really dont think that my amp has a bias pot. When I had it opened up, the only pots, of any kind, I saw where the volume's and the one tone.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Just slap some JJ's in there. Cheap and sound great. If you have a fixed bias amp, just pop'em in. If anything, you'll just be happy that they sound better than the worn ones. Don't skimp....get some 12AX7's too.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
              I really dont think that my amp has a bias pot. When I had it opened up, the only pots, of any kind, I saw where the volume's and the one tone.
              Keep in mind, though, that a bias "pot" and a volume "pot" don't look quite the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                Keep in mind, though, that a bias "pot" and a volume "pot" don't look quite the same.

electrically they do. hehe had to say it.

germ
                Jeremy Ledford
                Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
                  electrically they do. hehe had to say it.

germ
                  Should've expected it...

Comment

Working...
                  X