Walrus Tusk for nut material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walrus Tusk for nut material?

I was at the local luthier shop the other day asking about installation for a graphite nut... I'm tired of having my strings hang up on the bone nut. eventually i asked the question about how much graphite wears down and the repair guy didnt know so he asked the veteran guitar builder in the shop, and he says that yes it does tend to wear rather quickly.

I got a much different opinion from here (graphite wear = old wives tale) but these guys at the shop are honest and they do immaculate work and I trust them.

Then he suggested an alternative... Walrus Tusk. I'd never heard of it being used before. He showed me a blank of it... dark grey-brown material streaked with hairline white lines. He said that its much more slippery then regular bone that they use and harder than graphite.

Anyone had any experience with this stuff? or should I go with graphite?

Re: Walrus Tusk for nut material?

I have a tusq nut on my guitar and it sounds great. I'm not sure if tusq is the same thing as the walrus tusk you're talking about though.

I don't know about it's wear charitoristics though, as I've only had it for about two months on a Strat with a blocked trem.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

i hope they ain't killing or hurting walri (?) for it...you might be cursed for life if you get it. I'd go for synthetic stuff and not support any animal based products.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've been using a product that www.stewmac.com sells called "Slip Stone"....It's very slippery and is white in color....I also like their vintage bone...If the nut is cut and slotted correctly,you shouldn't have any issues...Get yourself some "Nut Sauce" for the slots..This stuff works really great at allowing your strings to glide smoothly through your string trees and nut slots....As Mincer stated..Stay away from Tusk and Ivory etc..There's plenty of great nut material available to us today..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The Tusq nuts are made by graph tech I believe and are fabricated "ivory". It's supposed to be quite durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
            i hope they ain't killing or hurting walri (?) for it...you might be cursed for life if you get it. I'd go for synthetic stuff and not support any animal based products.

Originally posted by scooter
            The Tusq nuts are made by graph tech I believe and are fabricated "ivory". It's supposed to be quite durable.
            This is correct
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Corian, neat thing is they're are tons of different colors. Works like a charm and Wally the Walrus is totally safe near guitar players forever more.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Try Walrus with a little Szechwan dipping sauce...much better than using it for a nut.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                  Try Walrus with a little Szechwan dipping sauce...much better than using it for a nut.
                  No thanks, walrus burgers tend to be too fatty for my taste.

So the general consensus here is:

1. Stay away from animal products.
                  2. Try Slipstone
                  3. Try Nut sauce on my current bone nut.

BTW the nut on my guitar is real bone... wheer does this bone supply come from? Beached whales?

Comment

my guess is cow? but i heard human bone is better. thats what keef uses. and he is way cool, man.

Comment

my guess is cow? but i heard human bone is better. thats what keef uses. and he is way cool, man.
                      I thought using human remains for anything other than scientific study was illegal?

Comment

(look at the smiley face...i was kidding)

Comment

were tortoise shell products really made of tortoise shells? did they perform nicely compared to todays picks and stuff? ..Sorry for the hijack just curious
                          2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

yes they were, although that practice was rightfully banned. using them today increases your chances of being struck by lightning, though.

Comment

(look at the smiley face...i was kidding)
                              ooooh I see i getcha.

So suppose baby-seal guitar straps and Spoted-Owl claw inlay on the headstock is out of the question then huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X