WHAT A (Neck) RELIEF!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT A (Neck) RELIEF!!

Well, I have a confession to make: I really don't take very good care of my guitars. I make sure that they play fine, and I always keep the strings fresh, and clean the fingerboard with each string change, but that's about it.

About 3 weeks ago I began to notice a slight buzz on the B string on my snakeskin Wayne when it was played open. It progressively got worse, but never so bad that it would make noise when amplified. I checked my neck and the angle of the strings coming from the nut, and the action, and it all seemed fine.

2 weeks ago: it was time to change the strings. I had also noticed that the fingerboard, while clean, was starting to look a little dry (rosewood fingerboard). SOOOO ... I brought the guitar in to my local tech for the 2 year checkup and a little TLC ....

RESULTS: The tech did a fantastic job, which I noticed as soon as I took the guitar out of the gig bag: the guitar was cleaner than I ever kept it (I don't mind finger smudges or shredded pick material on the body), The fingerboard was cleaned and oiled to nice dark brown. He even took the little bits of rust off of the Floyd and properly set up the EVH D-Tuna. I noticed the action was a bit higher than I usually use it, but what really threw me off was that the added some relief to my neck, which I usually keep straight. This made the action seem even higher ... My intention was: okay, I'll play it and lower the Floyd by 1/8 turn when I get home.

Once I got to playing it, tho, I must say: I'm in love!! While the neck relief does add a bit to the action in the middle of the fret board, the guitar plays like it has 9s on it instead of 10s. I have no problem doing really deep bends high up on the neck! I had no idea that adding a bit of relief to the neck would make playing the guitar so much more enjoyable and tactile. It's like a whole new guitar!

All this for only $80. That's what I call a bargain!!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: WHAT A (Neck) RELIEF!!

:woot:

geez, i think we need the : woot : smiley on this forum

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

80 dollars!? i dont know if i could throw that much on a setup. you can like buy a pick up! althougt, it is important to have one. hm.

Comment

You got a pretty good deal for only 80-dollar setup on a Floyd! I would think the NYC price would be around 100. It's about $75 here for a Floyd setup. I'm currently tweaking around with the action and relief on my LP. I put some relief in there also and raised the action, and I think it sounds a little better that way, but I don't know why. BUT... it's a little slower now.

-Matt
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Good that you like it, but... I usually get pissed off when I send something in for repairs, and it comes back differently than I got it (other than the repair of course, whether the repairer percieved it as "better" or what... some things I like dirty and don't like touched! (this applies more for my car than my guitar...)
          dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Most Techs typically setup guitars to play with the action as low as possible without buzzing. I for one do not like action that low. I play with what my tech calls "acoustic" action. For the same reason Twilight od stated. you can bend across the neck and never have a problem. I also do not keep my guitar in prestine condition. Fresh strings and properly set up, I polish it when I change strings.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I really like some slight relief on my guitars too.... it lets the strings "breathe" and vibrate more.
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

i need my guitar professionaly set up.. i messed with everything so much early when i got it. the neck needs some serious love

glad that your axe got the attention =)

Comment

My LP's going into the tech. It needs some professional attention.
                  On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I do all my own setups, but leave fretwork and extensive nut work to pros.
                    There's a point on a truss rod adjustment where the neck is pretty straight, with just a touch of relief, where you can play chords real hard with almost no buzz. I try to find that point, while adjusting the action. Once it's there, I start on the intonation.
                    Floyds are a pain to adjust, since their stupid saddles are tensioned by allen bolts, but once it's 100% perfect, I could throw my guitar down the stairs, then jump on the tremolo bar with my foot, pick it up, and it would still be in perfect tune. That's how you know your guitar is setup right.
                    I usually play Pauls and Strats, but my G&L Invader is quickly becoming my favorite guitars, and it's kind of a return to my old Floyd Rose days, which I've missed for some time.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Nate,

Your Avatar just made me laugh out loud. The Brawny Man.

Comment

Yeah, nice Avatar Nate. I don't know why that picture is funny, but it is.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Heh the advantages of being ones own tech
                          Lol well I never refret anything.....my wrists would stop working after a few minutes
                          But I make my own nuts, dress the frets, level the suckers as well, yep and a slight relief works great....everything is nicer that way, and in wintertime your neck does not bow backwards

Comment

Working...
                          X