Recommend Fat/Dbl. Fat Teles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend Fat/Dbl. Fat Teles?

I love the dual humbucker sound, but the "solid mahogany" tone of Pauls and SGs has been done to death. I've had great results with Fat and Double Fat Strats.... how does the Tele stack up in the world of humbuckers? My favorite tone is thick, but not so overbearing that there is no definition or chord clarity. I like nice crunchy mids and searing highs and upper mids.

What do you think? Should Teles get 'buckers are they only convincing in single-coil mode?
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Recommend Fat/Dbl. Fat Teles?

I've got more Tele's than any other guitar. One has single coils, one has 2 P-90's, and the one pictured below that has a Humbucker in the neck and a Little 59 Humbucker in the bridge, with a 5 way switch. The bridge is a Callaham bridge with big brass compensated saddles that thicker to add more sustain. No twanging on this one... Definitely rocks!

I'm in the process of building a Tele partscaster that will have 2 humbuckers, but they are a cross between a Filtertron/P-90 with a PAF low end in it. Should be done in a week or two. The pickups and knobs really do have black mother of pearl like the example. There's a real crude mockup of it below. Looks way better in person.

Teles are a great compliment to the Les Paul type tones if you need more guitars.

Institute Of Noise Music Productions
    http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
    Bogner Amplification
    http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

dbl fat tele designed by seymour worked very well for jeff beck. I have one with a hollow mahogany body and duncans and it sounds great.
      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Tele's are hot rods...I love moddin' 'em. My Tele-Gib has an Ash body, Maple neck so it's not as dark as a LP, has plenty of snap and cuts well...don't know about a 'thick' tone, but that could be had with different pups, this one has the JB and Jazz like Seymour's. It's not a twanger, but my Esquire is. You could have a more versitile Tele if done like Keef's with a HB bridge and twangy SC bridge.
        My Tele's...
        Hey IoN...swing those Tele's by the modders site! Ya got some kool ones.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
        Celestion speakers
        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
        Too many pedals....

Comment

Thanks Brian... I might do that with the new one. I've seen yours before. nice stuff!

Hey where in Hawaii are you. I used to live over there when I was a lad. Lived in Wailiae-Kahala area on Oahu and for a short period in Pearl City.

Bogner Amplification

Comment

Born and raised in Kapahulu, now reside waaaaay out West in Kapolei...the 'new' second city. Overcrowded, high gas prices...lovely weather...whatcha gonna do?

Celestion speakers
            Too many pedals....

Comment

Semi small world. Got a regular poster on my Line 6 forum that I believe lives over in Hawaii Kai area. I guess I get back over there soon and revisit the old areas.

Bogner Amplification

Comment

Get a Mexican Tele and put a Hot Rails in the bridge, maybe a li'l 59 in the neck...or y'know, just keep the Tele single coil.

It's what one of Poison the Well's guitarist does, so if you like their tone you'll probably dig that setup.

-X
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The great thing about Tele-ish guitars, is that the control plate is a separate piece. It makes trying out different pot/cap/switch combo's real convenient.

Comment

Did you guys cut up your teles to fit in humbuckers, or did you buy custom bodies?
                    Watch My Videos
                    Photography
                    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

i think fender even sells double humbucking teles.
                      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Biu
                        Did you guys cut up your teles to fit in humbuckers, or did you buy custom bodies?
                        An inexpensive Roto-Zip (spiral saw) or router is all ya need to open up pup holes.
                        Tele-Gib surgery

Celestion speakers
                        Too many pedals....

Comment

Working...
                        X