banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use a pedal in front of their DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a pedal in front of their DSL?

Hey guys I've been reading the forum and their seems to be alot of talk about putting distortion of overdrive pedals in front of amps to get a good lead sound. My DSL sounds killer, but I'd like to have a sort of boost or something to get some good screaming leads. I know their is the lead 2 button, but it doesnt really do it for me, plus i have to push a button which is kinda hard.

I was thinking along the lines of a tubescreamer or boss overdrive pedal. Anyone use a pedal in front of a DSL or had any experience with this?
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
    Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
    Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
    Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Re: Anyone use a pedal in front of their DSL?

Sure, I think for that extra push-over-the-edge on a lead sound the pedal is the best way to go. With a good pedal you can get a great boost, which still retains your rhythm tone - the trick is to find one that's fairly transparent (i.e. doesn't add too much of its own characteristics to your sound) whilst providing the necessary volume. As you mentioned, the tubescreamer would do this job excellently, and boss also has notables (OD, SD etc.). Try some out!
    Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
    Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

I don't use a pedal in front of my DSL. The distortion the DSL puts out is perfect for the tone im looking for.
      MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Comment

Go with the tubescreamer man!
        I'm gettin a DSL 401 and stickin a tubescreamer, boss eq and a crybaby in front of it.
        You get Stevie ray to stevie vai with that!
        Ju, ju, just like the bad guy from lethal weapon 2, I got diplomatic immunity so Hammer you can't sue....!

ESP LTD MH-400
        Marshall VS 8240
        Boss DS-1, Cry baby
        Ernie Ball strings, Jim Dunlop picks
        Planet waves cables

Comment

If you want to keep the tone of your amp but boost the signal you could buy an EQ, set it flat, and put the level up a bit.
          All you have to do is kick it on when you need that lead boost.
          Tom Morello did that in Rage Against The Machine for most of his lead work. It's pretty transparent as well, or at least it sounds pretty transparent.

Comment

I was pretty happy with the distortion on the DSL. When needed, I'd use the MXR Micro Amp. It's a nice boost pedal that's pretty transparent with regard to your tone.
            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
            various pedals

Comment

Joel from Killswitch Engage uses a distortion pedal that runs clean without additional distortion to boost his Recto's volume so he doesn't have to ooze on additional gain and sound nu-metallish. You could probably do the same with the DSL. You could also get a chorus pedal or a harmonizer to make the lead parts sound bigger without rising in the mix too much.
              Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
              Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
              Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
              Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
              Marshall G15CDR
              Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
              Marshall 1960A
              Boss ME-50
              ...and just a little talent.

Comment

Early Rat pedals give a great lead tone to a Marshall. Same with the Maxon 808 & 820.

My favorite two OD's are the mondo expensive Klon, but the banzaieffects.com
                is the best pedals in the $200 range. Coldfusion will give you a huge lead tone on a
                DSL. The Fireball, too. It's a bit more versatile than a Fulltone FD II
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I tried the TS-9 tubescreamer in front of a DSL today and it sounded killer.
                  Fender Classic 60's Strat
                  Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
                  DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
                  Vox V848 wah
                  Line 6 MM-4
                  Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonman
                    I tried the TS-9 tubescreamer in front of a DSL today and it sounded killer.

on a clean or dirty channel?

I also have a DSL and am looking for a pedal to thicken up/boost my lead tone. Right now I'm just using an ernie ball volume pedal, but I'd rather have a stomp box.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I really have no experience with pedals. Would an octave pedal or chorus be able to boost the volume as well?

Do you put all pedals in the effects loop?

This is what my band sounds like to give you an idea of what I might be going for: http://www.rorybreaker.com/mp3/second/03_23.mp3
                    thereveling.com

Comment

You can really put overdrive pedals in the effects loop - they're not line-level, but designed to work with a low-level guitar output. Normally people tend to plug them into the dirty channel, but you can experiment with both (it'll make more of a volume difference on the clean channel).

Could try a fulltone fatboost for a totally transparent boost, and it has a treble cut to help reduce the inherent brightness. Chorus or octave pedals rarely have any volume boost.
                      Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
                      Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                      Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

What I was thinking for this is that like Justin of the Darkness, I could put a pedal in front of a Marshall and get a nice compressed and thick lead tone off of the dirty channel (lead 1, lead 2 is just buzzy). I'm not really looking to buy a $200 pedal, just a regular one for a boost and fatness enhancer. A chorus pedal is a good idea too.

Quick thought: Anyone had any luck with multi-effects units for distortion or boost purposes?
                        Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
                        Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
                        Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
                        Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
                          on a clean or dirty channel?

I also have a DSL and am looking for a pedal to thicken up/boost my lead tone. Right now I'm just using an ernie ball volume pedal, but I'd rather have a stomp box.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I really have no experience with pedals. Would an octave pedal or chorus be able to boost the volume as well?

Do you put all pedals in the effects loop?

This is what my band sounds like to give you an idea of what I might be going for: http://www.rorybreaker.com/mp3/second/03_23.mp3
                          Clean more often than dirty, I suppose, but I'm sure that I'll use it on the dirty channel for a clean boost when the whim takes me.
                          Fender Classic 60's Strat
                          Epi Les Paul - PG/SH-4
                          DSL50 w/Avatar 2x12 (V30/G12H30)
                          Vox V848 wah
                          Line 6 MM-4
                          Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer

Comment

i was messin around earlier with puttin the boss os-2 in front of the amp and trying different settings, boss on its own on clean chanell then dialing in a little bit of gain in both lead 1 and 2 and a whole lot more different settings and found no usable seting with the boss os-2, this pedal seems to take away >"ALOT"< of bass from the signal and makes the sound quite thin..and this is when i have the bass boost switch on also , so mabye i should sell the os-2 and get a tubescreamer...
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny C
                              Could try a fulltone fatboost for a totally transparent boost, and it has a treble cut to help reduce the inherent brightness.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard of this pedal until you mentioned. From what I read, it sounds like this is exactly what I'm looking for. A dealer near me is selling this for $180 new, is this a reasonable price?

How much does this pedal effect your tone?
                              thereveling.com

Comment

Working...
                              X