What neck angle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What neck angle?

I've heard that the larger the angle, the more sustain, and the smaller the angle, the more tuning stability there should be. Also, with a larger angle, there's more string breakage.

What do you think the best angle is? I typically bend a lot, so tuning stability is important, however with locking tuners is there really that much difference? By the way, no floyd.

17š = More sustain, less tuning stability, more string breakage

14š = Good sustain, good tuning stability, ok level of string breakage

11š = Less sustain, more tuning stability, less string breakage

What do you think is best?
    Last edited by darkshadow54321; 08-28-2004, 10:09 AM.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: What neck angle?

Iīm a bit confused (stoned), are you talking neck angle or headstock angle?? :???:

headstock, or?
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Whoops.... yep, that's what i meant... silly silly me. Sometimes I write like I'm stoned, but I'm not. Honest.

HEADSTOCK ANGLE!!!!!!!!!!
      There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

LSR roller nut....how can you break a string on a surface that rolls????? obviously more tension on a string if theres a higher angle, but i think you could pull it off with a roller nut. and with locking tuners and a roller nut, you should be able to stay in tune pretty well!

Comment

I would go for the 14 degrees... it's a balance of everything. But then again I might go for 17, for more sustain. I can usually hold off on breaking strings lol
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I generally recommend a 12° angle on tilt headed axes with a trem, 14° with a hardtail. But IMO anyting between 0° (Fender) and 20° (some OLD acoustics) is ok, depending on what the result should be

BTW: With a Floyd and a locking nut the headstock angle makes about as much of a difference (tonally and Playability wise) as the color of the finish
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
            X