marshal jcm 600 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshal jcm 600 combo

Ive just bought a used marshal jcm 600 combo. its the 2 x 12 one. doesn anyone have one, and have any suggestions for its use, ie settings? thanks, i thought i got quite a good deal, all valve 2 x 12 marshall for £350. hope so, thankyou.

Re: marshal jcm 600 combo

That IS a good deal. Let us know what sort of music you like, then I am sure we will all have opinions on what the ULTIMATE settings are...

Comment

When we know what you like to play, then we may be able to make a few suggestions about tubes etc. How does it sound now and what gear are you using????

Comment

at the moment im using an epi les paul with gibson burstbuckers (they put them in in the shop for some reason and then sold it me for only a little over the regular price, which was preety cool).
        I play alot of things, from hendrix etc to sonic youth, the smiths, cramps, devo, libertines and so on, basicly just not anything too metal-like, just general 'alternative'.

I believe the tubes are el34s (x2) and ecc83s (x4).

Ive also got my hands on a tubescreamer, few crappy distortion pedals.

i guess if anyone could reccomend a good lead tone and a useable rhythm one it would be great! thankyou!

Comment

You can download the Marshall handbook for your amp here:

I have a JTM600 2x12 combo, which is pretty much identical to the JCM600. You can set them up for a clean channel and a dirty channel or a rhythm channel and a lead channel depending upon your requirements. Very versatile amps. Experiment for a while and follow your ears.

If you want to get more gain (especially on the clean channel with its volume right up) put a patch cable in the parallel effects loop and turn up the effects mix control. Works a treat for turning the clean channel into a rock rhythm channel.

Comment

I have a JCM600 2x12. I bought it from Jeff H.

The best clean tone I've found is like a Fender - everything at 6. Channel volume, bass, mids, treble, and reverb all at 6. My presence is at about 6 too. My OD channel varies on the guitar, but falls in the range of gain 5-10, bass 6, mids 8, treble 5, reverb 3. Master volume sounds good at 4 and above. I have my amp up against a wall, acting like a closed back, so your results may vary.

FWIW - I don't know what preamp tubes I have (whatever came with it), but I have a pair of EH EL34's for power.

Comment

Fantastic Old School Marshall Tone Amp.

I have the head.

For more gain see :

I hooked up a Stereo BBE 481i Sonic Max ... right side to the series loop and the left side to the parallel loop. WoW!

I have it set to a 2x12 Greenback for Cleans and a 2x12 V30s for Dirt.

With an EQ for the mids the JCM 600 can spit out lots of gain and keep that Marshall grainy tone.

Very underestimated and misunderstood Amp ... keep it quite

EDIT:> Get a THD HotPlate for it ... get's extremely dynamic.
              Last edited by motorhead; 08-28-2004, 05:50 PM.
              Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Thanks very much to everyone who helped! tried the patch cable trick, works a treat! Has anyone else found it to be a little on the heavy side though? I have to carry it up 2 flights of stairs for band practice and its a bit of a struggle.
                As soon as i get enough money im planning on replacing the tubes, not sure what with yet. It has Ei's and Svetlanas in at the minute.

Comment

Good deal. My friend has one, though he has been using it as a cab for his Mesa Boogie for a while now. On its own he has got awesome tones with it using a DS1 to boost it. Cant help with you with settings though im afraid. Play about with it and let your ears do the rest Enjoy

Comment

thanks! i only really wanted people to he,p me out because at home i dont get the chance to really crank it, and at band practice i cant 'waste' time playing with the amp.

Comment

Yeah...it's a tad on the heavy side, but it's worth it. For tubes, I would go with Svetlana EL34's for power tubes, and either JJ's, GT12AX7-M's or some nice NOS tubes for the pre-amp. Speakerwise I think it's hard to beat the Vingage 30 sound, but don't spend the $$ on Celestion. Get the Eminence V12, which is their version of the V30 at 1/2 the price, or check out one of the new Eminence Redcoat series of speakers....then your amp will be a tone machine (even more than it is now).

In all reality, the pre-amp tubes and the speaker will make the majority of sound improvement in your amp. I wish I had not sold mine (Tom you bastard), but I'm glad it's got a good home. Great, great amp.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                        Yeah...it's a tad on the heavy side, but it's worth it. For tubes, I would go with Svetlana EL34's for power tubes, and either JJ's, GT12AX7-M's or some nice NOS tubes for the pre-amp. Speakerwise I think it's hard to beat the Vingage 30 sound, but don't spend the $$ on Celestion. Get the Eminence V12, which is their version of the V30 at 1/2 the price, or check out one of the new Eminence Redcoat series of speakers....then your amp will be a tone machine (even more than it is now).

In all reality, the pre-amp tubes and the speaker will make the majority of sound improvement in your amp. I wish I had not sold mine (Tom you bastard), but I'm glad it's got a good home. Great, great amp.
                        Can't stop thanking you for that patch cord tip.

With a Boss-CS2 > DOD Bi-Fet > (Doobtone) Boss Blues Driver I get all the bluesy tones I've ever wanted.

With a (modded) Boss SD-1 > Bennett Insane Gain I get OD Punch to Death metal.
                        Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

Yeah....it's really an amazing amp, and the cool thing is you can pick them up pretty cheap. Most people just don't know about them....which is fine. With a few pedals like you said you can run the gamout tone wise from nice cleans to blues, classic rock, hard rock and metal.

Glad the patch chord thing works so well for you. I wish I could take credit for that one, but Simon_F turned me on to that one (Damn Brits).
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                          X