What Tele Would You Get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tele Would You Get?

What are your opinions guys? I'd have around £6-800 (about $1300), in a bit and was thinking about getting a Telecaster.

Whats my best bet, and how much are the different options?

Looking for the best tone possible, in a guitar that I can play on and on...

(Music I play: Fugazi, Joy Division, AFI, Rolling Stones, Stone Roses, Pixies, Smiths, Feeder, Manic Street Preachers)
    Last edited by Communist Monk; 08-29-2004, 07:21 AM.
    :: Samick Ultramatic UM4 (PRS Custom 22 Copy) :: 2x Seymour "Duncan Designed" HH-4 :: D'Addario XL .09-.42 :: 1981 Sunburst Epiphone Sheraton VSB :: 2002 Martin Guitars Custom Shop 000-28 :: Vox AD30VT Valvetronix Combo ::

Re: What Tele Would You Get?

Check out the Nashville Power Tele

Comment

you might want one with a neck humbucker a la keith richards ... but yeah, the nashville certainly gives alot of versatility too .. or a custom H S H tele with tappable neck and bridge

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

where would I get one with a neck humbucker?
        :: Samick Ultramatic UM4 (PRS Custom 22 Copy) :: 2x Seymour "Duncan Designed" HH-4 :: D'Addario XL .09-.42 :: 1981 Sunburst Epiphone Sheraton VSB :: 2002 Martin Guitars Custom Shop 000-28 :: Vox AD30VT Valvetronix Combo ::

Comment

See if you can find a G&L Bluesboy. It comes with G&L's Tele pickup at the bridge, and a Seth Lover at the neck. Fender also makes (made?) a fat Tele with a covered Atomic Humbucker at the neck.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

CM, talking about tone is like dancing about archetexture. You've given a fairly broad spectrum of musical influenes ( and good on you for that). Looking at merely one act on your list ( let's take Mr. Marr of The Smiths ... another unheralded genius), we can say that he uses various guitars for various projects. The sound most associated with him is that of a Rickenbacker ( ...and don't quote me, but I think it's a 330). Still, when I last saw him play in public, he had a Gibson SG in hand. Two vastly different tones ...for two vastly different gigs.

A Tele is a great, no-excuses, straight-up guitar. Playing a Tele, it shows if you have the goods (or not). Don't rely on me or anyone else to advise you on which one to pick. If you plan on dropping eight hundred pounds on a guitar, take the time and effort to try out EVERY guitar that tickles your fancy. I'd even say reduce your budget by fifty pounds and spend the rest on travel to experiement with these axes.

Hie thee to the nearest shop of any size and try 'em out. Use the amplifier which you intend to match with the guitar, if at all possible ; if not, find a close match at the shop where you're experiementing.

Who's to say here what makes your match ? I have no idea the size of your hands nor the lenght of your fingers. I don't know how strong your back to support the beast you have wrapped around your back by a two inch strap. Sorry, but that's your decision.

All of that having been said...just look for a straight neck, true intonation, quality tuners & finish. There is (IMHO) never an excuse for poorly dressed frets. Other than that, look for what suits you now, and what you feel will suit you in years to come.
            <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

i will second the g&l, it is a greta guitar and even comes stock with a seth lover neck humbucker installed. The american series teles have a few that have humbuckers in the neck position and also the 72 custom (MIM). I am mostly a fender tele player but i would go for the G&L before the fenders.
              Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Thanks for the advice DanteG, around the time when I have the money, i'll be going up to London (UK), quite a way away from where I live (By UK standards of course), and i'll just go to as many music shops as I can until I find something I love. You post has made me give up on buying a guitar through mail-order or the internet (second hand or new). Though, if anyone could give a few more models for me to look out for where I go (the local music shop doesnt sell anything more expensive than a "Vintage" SG Copy

Comment

CM :

Do you know the difference between the US and the IK ? The UK thinks that 100 miles is a long distance, and the US thinks that 100 years is a long time.

If you're set on a tele, both Fender and G&L make nice ones. Fender offers a few with humbuckers in the neck and single-coil bridge pups (with the occasional Squire copy of the same) that I quite fancy. Think Keith Richards early-seventies tone... talent not included, of course.

I'm curious ...may I ask where in the UK you're located ? Spent a bit of time there half a lifetime ago ...

Comment

Hey, welcome to the forum, dont you just h8 Uk prices?
                    Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                    Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                    Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                    RAT
                    Boss PH-1r
                    Ibanez cf-7
                    Ibanwz ts-7
                    Danelectro tremolo
                    Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Doogz :

Don't complain too much ... at least you have Burns.

Comment

Some possible options - G&L ASAT, Thinline, MIM Tele, Power Tele and of course Tokai. Have a look at e-bay (US) for some prices and then do the comparisons.

At the sort of prices that you are talking about and if you can possibly wait for a while than consider Blueline or JohnJohn building a custom built Tele for you. They are great guys and their work is fantastic and come very highly recommended - shoot them a PM.
                        Normans Guitars

Comment

I could get a custom build for about £750?

UK prices suck big-time. Really.

Lol DanteG, my step brother (my bands vocalist) has an Original Burns London 1960s Split-Sonic! Its a bit tattered, but sounds ****ing awesome!

Comment

I'd go with a standard tele with a humbucker in the neck as well...

Comment

here in the US you can build a really awesome custom warmoth for about $550, including duncan pickups
                              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                              X