No announcement yet.

REVIEW: My home-made full neck Scallop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVIEW: My home-made full neck Scallop!

Ok, finally finished the full Ritche Blackmore neck scallop on my Strat (followed Project Guitar tutorial).
    First off, I did this as recommended by others to accomodate my girly, thin, not-so-strong hands. I was told it was good for players with a lighter touch and is exceptional for hammer-on/pull-offs and vibrato/bends.

After stringing it up and setting the action and truss rod, I plugged in. I was sort of expecting an over-the-top feel of super floppy size 8 strings into 20" scale neck kind of feel Haha, WRONG! It did feel good though. It's not as different from regular guitars as one might think. It actually felt almost identical to my Ibanez Prestige RG3120 (insanely tall frets, higher than every Jackson I've played). The only difference I could see was that on a scalloped board, you can dig just a little bit more for bigger bends, but unless you're going for like 2-3 step bends, it's really not all that necesarry. Hammer-ons and pull-offs were the same. The feel was pretty much the same, I didn't get lost or need time to adjust.

Not at all what I expected, but still very cool. If your guitar has short frets and you want to get that HUGE fret feel, you might want to consider this. It's pretty cool to have a little bit of both worlds on my Strat.

So, to those of you who say scalloping is SO extremely different from huge frets, I'm going to have to disagree. There is only a slight difference in look and feel. My Ibanez SA160QM is not scalloped, but it bends, and plays much easier than my Strat. The same goes for my Ibanez Prestige. But the best thing about this scallop is that I can use bigger gauge strings on my Strat and it will still feel like 9's (another thing to consider if you're thinking about scalloping).

Pics and review of the guitar itself to come soon. In conclusion, scalloping=VERY COOL because it's not drastically different, and can enhance your playing a bit if you also suffer from girly hands. Just wanted to clear any myths about scalloping and share my personal opinion. Thanks for reading!
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: REVIEW: My home-made full neck Scallop!

Very cool, Biu. Glad to see you didnt mess up like the other guy's neck who got posted. Scalloping is different, but I agree, it's not that different from jumbo frets. Although I dont suffer from girly hands by any means, I wouldnt mind owning a guitar that's got a scalloped fretboard.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

thats awesome that u were able to that by yoursel. I've got a scappoled strat and it feels great not to much of a diffrence but it does make everything else easier EXCEPT for chords mainly because i press too har, it is great if have "girly" hand strength though
      Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
      The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

haha

you got girly hands

sorry

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
          haha

you got girly hands

sorry

As far as I'm concerned, so do you
          Until you can start rippin it up on 13-58 or 14-62 (depends on mood and guitar) you've no room to talk
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Somebody PLEASE post that "OWNED" pick of the poorly scalloped neck!

It sounds like something I'd like to do actually. Is scalloping difficult to do? I don't want it to get "owned" after all.
            Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
            Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
            Originally posted by Sosomething
            "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

we want pics pics pics!
              There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Hopefully Biu wasn't the one whose neck got "scallopowned."

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I really like scalloped necks, but have never had the guts to do one myself. I've always thought that it weakens the neck, so I opt for huge frets and try to get the same feel. I know it isn't the same, but that's what I prefer. They ARE great, aren't they?
                  www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                    As far as I'm concerned, so do you
                    Until you can start rippin it up on 13-58 or 14-62 (depends on mood and guitar) you've no room to talk
                    well, depends on what your definition of "rippin" is

if rippin is kicking YOUR ass.

if rippin is nearly braking my fingers trying to bend the G, then....

Comment

Haha, I gotta see this pic of whoever got "OWNED" scalloping! Scalloping is VEEEEERY easy. The only drawback with it's incredible ease is the time it takes to do it. If you sat down and did it all in one sitting, it might take somewhere from 10 hours and up! I spent a whole week just sanding, cleaning out the gunk left from sanding, oiling the fretboard, and then probably one of the biggest B****es of the whole project: hand sanding the scallops with increasingly high grit sandpaper That took forever and gave me vicious hand cramps. Very rewarding when done though! And I will be posting pics this week probably, so keep your eyes peeled!!!

Hellion, opting for huge frets, is a really good idea, especially if you want to resell your guitar or neck. But for those of us with girly fingers, getting to noodle around with both scalloped necks and huge fret necks is just too much fun!
                      Watch My Videos
                      Photography
                      www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
                      "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Here is mine: This is on an Ernie Ball/Music Man Silhouette Special.

I had Doug Frye do it..here is his webpage: http://www.maraz.com/dmara/repair/alvrzscallop1.htm
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

:Eyes sandpaper in the toolbox and rubs chin:
                          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

I've never played a scalloped neck, and would like to one day. I think I would want the time to actually explore what it can do, tho. Just jamming on it for one session @ a guitar shop ain't gonna cut it ...
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thing is, once you scallop... no turning back.

Comment

Working...
                              X