Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Guitar Tube Power Amplifiers?

Anyone out there with a lot of experience with tube power amps for guitar
    rack setups? Pick your top 5 favorites. Among the Mesa's, tell us how you rate the models from worst to best. VHT? Marshall? Peavey? Hafler?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Top 5 Guitar Tube Power Amplifiers?

Those Peavey Classic power amps seem pretty poplular among the preamp users...

Comment

one of mine. they are mono, which suits alot of players better. plus, they are alot lighter. any flavor. EL34, 6L6, 6V6, EL84, etc.

germ
      Jeremy Ledford
      Tone Guru Extroardinaire
      Tone Shop

Comment

The only power amps I've ever owned for guitar setups were a Peavey Classic 60/60,
        then a Mesa 295 4 sp. It was actually surprising that the Peavey didn't sound that much worse than the 295. They both sounded really nice. The Peavey Classic
        tube power amps are a great bargain for a good sounding rack setup.
        The 295, 395, and Strategy 500 are crushing monsters. Such a huge glassy headroom!
        Doesn't Hawkman have a VHT? I want to hear about his experience with power amps.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've always used the Peavey Classic 60/60 and I thought its great for the price you can get them for. I got as part of the whole rig I baught of a person a long time ago (ADA MP-1, ElectroVoice 30 band EQ, and the poweramp).. all for $650canadian.

I put some JJ6L6s in the Peavey poweramp and it sounds even better. I am also going to do the Bias Pot mod to it and bias it up to about 30mA to get it warmer, thicker and punchier sounding.

They are definitly worth the buck in my opinion. I've never tried any other poweramps as I've never felt the need to since I am happy with my Peavey. If it was only 2 space instead of 3, it would have been better

Duke
          www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I like the Marshall 50/50 , from the 80's.
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

I've heard amazing things from VHT. They supposedly make the rest of the setup sound much more clear and defined than most other power amps.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
              X