Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    Re: Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

I don't think weight is a good indicator. I think builders tap on the wood, like picking out a good watermelon. I don't know what to listen for, though. I was at this website last night: http://www.zacharyguitars.com/
    He has some neat ideas about wood, like using knotty pine, etc...I think a good builder can make anything sound good though.

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

It is heavier than say, swamp ash, but I think that by finding the right cut, you can build a relatively light instrument. This is what the Gibson Custom Shop does for their higher end Les Paul RI's.

Leave a comment:

• Davey
    replied

isnt mahagony a heavy wood?

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

I think that depends on the wood. Heavey maple, ebony, and rosewood are OK, being that they are naturally dense. If you find a heavy chunk of ash or mahogany, I would stay away. The reasoning for this is that ash and mahogany are very porous woods, therefore (following my sometimes mistaken logic), a heavy piece of ash or mahogany probably have a high mineral content. This might adversley affect tone and resonance and it definately has an impact on player comfort (play a 4 hour set with a heavy LP and you'll know what I mean).

Leave a comment:

• darkshadow54321
    replied

I thought heavy wood was a sign of quality?

Leave a comment:

• Benjy_26
    replied

Depending on the wood, I would look for close, straight grain, light weight (which indicates a lower mineral content), and attractive figuring, if possible. I know very little as far as wood grading goes, but that's my $.02.

Leave a comment:

• Davey
    replied

it's something about the grain... i dont know how to determine it either

Leave a comment:

• darkshadow54321
    started a topic Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

How can you tell if a piece of wood is good quality?

Is there any visible way? I know that any holes are bad news.

Is there a secret way, like tapping on it and seeing how it responds or whatever?
Working...
X