Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

How can you tell if a piece of wood is good quality?

Is there any visible way? I know that any holes are bad news.

Is there a secret way, like tapping on it and seeing how it responds or whatever?
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Re: Way To Know If Wood Is Good Quality?

it's something about the grain... i dont know how to determine it either

Comment

Depending on the wood, I would look for close, straight grain, light weight (which indicates a lower mineral content), and attractive figuring, if possible. I know very little as far as wood grading goes, but that's my $.02.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I thought heavy wood was a sign of quality?

Comment

I think that depends on the wood. Heavey maple, ebony, and rosewood are OK, being that they are naturally dense. If you find a heavy chunk of ash or mahogany, I would stay away. The reasoning for this is that ash and mahogany are very porous woods, therefore (following my sometimes mistaken logic), a heavy piece of ash or mahogany probably have a high mineral content. This might adversley affect tone and resonance and it definately has an impact on player comfort (play a 4 hour set with a heavy LP and you'll know what I mean).

Comment

isnt mahagony a heavy wood?

Comment

It is heavier than say, swamp ash, but I think that by finding the right cut, you can build a relatively light instrument. This is what the Gibson Custom Shop does for their higher end Les Paul RI's.

Comment

I don't think weight is a good indicator. I think builders tap on the wood, like picking out a good watermelon. I don't know what to listen for, though. I was at this website last night: http://www.zacharyguitars.com/
                He has some neat ideas about wood, like using knotty pine, etc...I think a good builder can make anything sound good though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

[QUOTE=darkshadow54321]How can you tell if a piece of wood is good quality?

Buy it from a reliable dealer.

Comment

mahogony should be medium weight. most LPs these days weight in at over 10lbs (some as much as 15) which is waaaaayyy to much. The thing is that the original LPs were all about 8-10lbs and were made of south american mahogony. newer ones are made of african mahogony and are much heavier. to lighten them, Gibby cuts holes in them (under the maple cap). But that really isn't the same. I think that each kind of wood has an ideal, but a skilled luthier is much better at picking a good chunk than you or I.
                    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Peterku
                      What's the problem with weight then? (I must admit that these blocks have been drying for more than 40 years, though.)

What's more, my teacher's MIJ Squier Strat weighs extreeeemely much, it's heavy as hell, and he claims it's the best sounding Strat he's ever played. He has already had a lot of different Fender Strats and Teles.
                      For me, I don't like heavy guitars. My Brian Moore is hollowed out mahogany and maple, and weighs just over 6 pounds. I have played a Klein guitar, out of hollowed out spruce, and it was one of the best sounding/playing/feeling guitars I have ever touched, and it was just at 6 pounds. Some people like heavy dense wood- I know my back doesn't. I guess you can't pin down a great tone to weight. Some 70s Strats weigh in at 9-10 pounds and sound just terrible.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Determining how good a piece of wood is has a lot to do with what will be done with it. A solid body electric guitar for example is more about density. Figuring in the wood simply looks better after a finish has been applied to it. Gibson would take mahogony that was not very nicely figured and would use this for buliding guitars that would be painted in solid colors Such as a Goltop LP or a Black LP Custom. These woods are tonaly as good and in some cases better than the highly figured pieces of the same grade. They just didn't look as good.
                        Acoustic Guitars are a whole different ball game. When a Luthier selects wood for a acoustic guitar they are very concerned about its strength. Quarter sawn wood is the most desireable, espically for the sides. Think of a Log cut into quarters. The grain is extremley straight adding considerable strength to the wood. Acoustic guitar tops take much of the string tension, so the straighter the grain the more strength the wood will have. Certain species of Spruce will have a much tighter grain than others. This will either increase or decrease strength, and can also effect the way the top responds to vibration. Sitka Spruce vrs Adarondack Both of these woods are highly desirable the choice is really a matter of taste, and what will give the instrument the "voice" the Luthier has in mind. Quarter sawn wood is much more expensive than "slab" cut woods. Slab cut wood is considerably more difficult to bend when making sides. As you can see it depends on what you are planning on doing with the wood. Electric Guitars are cut into the shape and then sanded routed etc.. Where Acoustic instruments, the sides have to be bent to the correct shape. Arctop instruments are the most difficult. The sides are bent to shape, the top and back are carved into the "Arch" that bears there name. This is why Archtop guitars like a Gibson L5 cost so much money. It takes a huge amount of time and a large amount of skill and very high quality woods to build a guitar like this.
                        Last edited by Bludave; 08-30-2004, 12:43 PM.
                        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Way to know if wood is good quality?

:::: wait for it......

You can hang your hat on it!
                          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by texasguitarslinger
                            Way to know if wood is good quality?

:::: wait for it......

You can hang your hat on it!

LOL!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

A slow growth forest is good for tone woods. the short growing seasons make for a tighter grain, which gives more resonace throughout the wood, in my experience. thats also how some luthiers grade wood, by how many grain lines per inch.

Comment

Working...
                              X