Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new strings

im through with DR, they play nice but they break easy & sound too warm

so i'm in the market for new ones, right now i'm usinv DR mediums, I'd like something similar, but with more punch to them, any suggestions?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: new strings

you must play really hard cause ive never broken a DR. I hear the B52's from every are awesome, and are a great combination of stainless longevity and nickel tone, theyre 52% nickel and 48% iron i think.if you want more punch, bump up the gauge, say .11's
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

i already use .11's

Comment

Everly B52s in .10 Just try a set and I promise you you'll never look back.
        ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I really like GHS Boomers. Sound great and break a lot less often than the D'Addarios I was using before. With the D'Addarios the winding that holds the ball end on used to come undone.
          Last edited by Simon_F; 08-30-2004, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texasguitarslinger
            Everly B52s in .10 Just try a set and I promise you you'll never look back.

Yep. Try them, they last a loooong time.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I don't have a lot of experience with strings, but I just recently switched from Fender 250's to Ernie Ball Slinky's, and it was a noticable improvement in richness and harmonics.

At least, it seemed like it to me.

Comment

Dude, you're playing with medium strings and BREAKING them? Check your technique, bro. I've never broken a string by playing (although I have broken a couple stretching them after installation--a long time ago).

Also, check your bridge and nut for spurs--if the strings are breaking there. Especially if it is the same string(s) that breaks. A guy I used to play with used to break strings all the time--the culprit was a spur in the saddle. After it was filed down, no more problems.

But seriously, I have never had a problem breaking strings with any brand.
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Dean Markley "Blue Steels" have serious punch and amazing clairity.
                  BUT...........they dont hold this sound for my than 2 gigs.
                  I change mine after every gig.

But i will bet u 4 chickens and a donkey that when u first put them on and strum it unplugged u will hear the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Dude, you're playing with medium strings and BREAKING them? Check your technique, bro. I've never broken a string by playing (although I have broken a couple stretching them after installation--a long time ago).

Also, check your bridge and nut for spurs--if the strings are breaking there. Especially if it is the same string(s) that breaks. A guy I used to play with used to break strings all the time--the culprit was a spur in the saddle. After it was filed down, no more problems.

But seriously, I have never had a problem breaking strings with any brand.
                    I'd be a breaker as well.... just got a very hard strum (on stage - don't seem to play as hard off stage).. And this is on both acoustic & electric guitars

anyway as stated.... go over your nut and saddles...

I replaced bridge and saddle on my acoustic to graphtech and have gotten probably 10 times the life out of my strings (also a good setup from a local luthier)... I'm hoping to upgrade to graphtech on my electrics as well...

another thing that sems to have helped me is going to a les paul style bridge.....

Comment

i went down to dillons, attempting to buy ernie balls, but all they had was like 9-48's, so i looked around more, and i saw some misfits signature strings. Oh man, put them on, they're awesome. 11/52, right now they're new so they have the twang, but after they get broken in & start to sound more dead, im sure they'll be perfect. I'll hafta check my saddle if my d string breaks again, cuz it does usually break at the saddle

Comment

that really sounds like a spur in the saddle (no pun intended). Especially when you say it is the D string that is breaking. Most folks break the high E or the B.

A little filing would probably cure it.
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

try Snarling Dogs and Smith strings
                          both are pretty damn excellent and maybe what you're looking for.
                          Guitars:
                          -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
                          -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
                          -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
                          - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
                          - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
                          SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

ive never broken a DR either. i love them. dean markeley blue steel are my # 2 choice when getting strings, give them a ride...
                            Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                            Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                            Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                            Crate VC-3112
                            Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                            Fender Bassman 60

Comment

the misfits strings ARE dean markley

Comment

Working...
                              X