Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tubes to Use for Budda....

Hi everyone,
    I finally got rid of the tubes in my Budda SD 80 II, just got the matching cab too (once again, finally!). Believe it or not i didnt need to throw the tubes away, i sold em for 20$!

The Sovteks WA pre tubes werent horrible, but not great either. But the Chinese 6L6GC were pretty bad, and squeeled like stuck pigs! The amp still sounded suprisingly good with these tubes but there was a overlying harsh edge that i always hear with bad tubes.

Anyways, I have a matched quad of JJ 6L6 on the way and im gunna go get some pre amp tubes tommorow. Which pre amp tubes would you guys suggest for this particular amp? Should i go with JJ pres too? looking for a sweet, balanced tone that isnt edgy but is articulate. Do u think the JJ 6L6 that i ordered will work well in this amp?

Thanks
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: Which Tubes to Use for Budda....

JJ 6L6's sound great. You may as well order JJ 12ax7's too, but there's other good ones like EI, Sovtek LPS, and GT Chinese (which are good and gainy). It seems funny paying more for Chinese, but lots of high end amps come stock with them.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks Gearjonser. I have only used chinese and russian (EH or Sovtek) tubes in the past, the LPS were real nice as were the EH, the LPS sound a little better but the EH had virtually no microphonics and were real quite. My fav sounding ones of them all were some chinese ones, they had great gain and were sweet sounding, but were kinda noisy and poppy! So maybe getting some good GT Chinese will help solve the quality issues with the other chinese ones... And i keep hearing about these EI's, i think ill need to see for myself how microphonic prone they are and quit being apprehensive....
      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Believe it or not, I tried a lot of different pre tubes in my Ecstasy, and ended up realizing that GT Chinese, which are made to a better tolerance than average ones,
        are the best pre tube for that amp. They are a little pricey at $13 a piece, or whatever, but they last.

EI's have improved since they are funneled by distributors who test them. They aren't my favorite for clean amps, but they do have a nice tone.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
        X