The Dangers of Amplifier Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dangers of Amplifier Power

I've been a technician for 20 years and I want to emphasize the danger of working on instrument amplifiers.

Amps have lethal voltages and current running through them. Without basic safety precautions your next mod could be your last one. Please use these basic precautions WHENEVER you are working on your amp.

ALWAYS UNPLUG your amp! No one can accidentally turn it on if it's unplugged.

1. As a general rule you NEVER want to put both of your hands near a circuit board. This could complete a circuit across your chest and kill you. Electricity is always going to take the path of least resistance to ground. "A hand in the pocket" is a habit you should get into.

2. Don't wear metal rings, bracelets or anything else which can conduct electricity while working near circuits.

3. The large capacitors (filter caps) on your amp's circuit board MUST be drained before working on your amp. These caps can store a lethal dose of electricity. Using a Digital Multi-Meter (DMM), put your black lead into any chassis screw hole and with ONE hand in your pocket put the red lead on the positive side of one of the filter caps. If you read anything above 10V then I recommend draining your caps. Since the filter caps are wired in parallel draining one should drain them all but noones going to say anything if you want to check each cap individually. Better safe than sorry. To drain the caps you will need a resistor (I use a 5W 330 ohm cement resistor) with a least 1 1/2" to 2" of lead on each end. Bend the leads so that they will make contact with the capacitor's leads easily. Grip the resistor with a pair of insulated pliers (thick rubber handles) and with one hand in pocket place the resistor leads across the positive and negative capacitor leads. Hold it there for about 30 seconds. Take another reading with your DMM. Repeat this until you have gotten the caps below 10 volts.

4. Anytime you are working with high voltages you should wear safety glasses. A high voltage arc can throw out small bits of metal just like a grenade. Better to look like a nerd than to be blinded.

5. If you are EVER unsure of a procedure or modification take it to a professional. It's cheaper to pay for technical service than a funeral service.
    Last edited by texasguitarslinger; 09-01-2004, 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention the obvious.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Re: The Dangers of Amplifier Power

Thank you TGS, I'll just go screw the back of my amp on before I get any ideas....

Comment

I'd like to add that they make aligator clips that attach to the ends of your multimeter for clipping onto a ground. In addition, if you take a wire with clips on both ends and solder that resistor he's talking about in the middle some place, you can keep those caps drained.

Here's what I do, copy me at your own risk.

1. I play my guitar through the amp and while I'm playing, I step on the on/off switch on my surge protector. The racket that follows are your caps being drained. Unplug your amp from the surge protector.

2. I take my resistor with the wire and clips on each end and I attach one on to the chassis and one to Pin 1 on the first preamp tube. Then I leave it on for the entire time I have my nose in the amp. Caps seem to have a memory effect and will possibly slightly "re-charge" if left alone.

3. Then I take my meter and do what TX talks about above. Keep that extra hand behind your back and check the voltage on one of the big caps. If all your big caps are under the chassis like in old Fenders, check the caps in the phase inverter circuit. Either way, if you do steps one and two above and you wait a few minutes, you should be fine.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I really like having someone else work on my amps! Thank you for the information, though.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Here's a big one - make sure the amp is off and unplugged before working on it!

Comment

How does one go about discharging a modern, PCB amp? Are there "bleed points?"

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
              How does one go about discharging a modern, PCB amp? Are there "bleed points?"
              You should still be able to use the above procedure. Hand wired or PCB amp you will still see the filter caps. They are the realy big cylinders on the board and usually you will see markings on them like 500V or 650V and a slight indentation in the cylinder at one end.

~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

The problem is that my filter caps are mounted vertically...

Comment

Originally posted by texasguitarslinger
                  2. Don't wear metal rings, bracelets or anything else which can conduct electricity while working near circuits.
                  Ditto this. We've got a poster at work of a post-de-gloving event.

I'll leave to your imagination what "de-gloving" is.

But if you see the poster, you'll never wear jewelry again near electricity.
                  (And, you'll clean your lunch off the floor.)

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                    The problem is that my filter caps are mounted vertically...
                    In this case you will need research your amp's schematic for a point on the PCB where you can safely drain the caps.
                    ~Sid

Comment

and on that note, does anyone want to work on my amp? I just want a new input jack because a plastic part is cracked, but i don't want to get in there and do it myself anymore.
                      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

To Texas and Scott ...
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

does this, by any chance, apply to changing speakers? haha

Comment

Originally posted by ledzepp29
                            does this, by any chance, apply to changing speakers? haha
                            It's not uncommon to have to remove a chassis to get to a speaker. I had to do that to change out the speaker on my HRD. So, to answer your question, yes it could.
                            ~Sid

Comment

I know this post was probably made, due to my advise on biasing amps. I agree with everything said above. There's a reason people go to electronic school to learn electronics, and why the back of electronic equipment says "no user serviceable parts inside." The hand in pocket statement is a good thing to follow. Getting shocked by a 100W tube amp is no joke. You're actually lucky if the current throws you 5 feet backward, rather than holding you in the loop, potentially killing you.

Just one question. Is it bad to drain caps with your tongue?
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X