banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to swap p'ups in a LP.. need some advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to swap p'ups in a LP.. need some advise.

I'm looking to replace the C5 in my Double cut les paul. Currently i have a C5/Jazz combo in the guitar and it sounds great. the Jazz is EVERYTHING im looking for in a neck p'up (amazing little thing). And the C5 is a good pickup all around as well but i need something different, you know how it is.

Alright, im looking for a more ballsy bridge p'up. my one quarel about the C5 is that it is a little thin, which is great for somethings but i've moved to a more heavier rock (band plays foo fighters/weezer ish alternative). I need something that will give me a nice thick distortion but yet tame, and the cleans need to have at least a little balls (i dont like brittle cleans in the bridge). so all in all im looking more toward grohl's tone (as a general reference)

my setup: Double Cut -> Effects (Main distortion in the chain is a Keeley modded DS-1) ->Sovtek Mig 60 Tube amp

I was thinking a Duncan Distortion or Duncan JB would do good for what im seeking, but what are your suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Re: Looking to swap p'ups in a LP.. need some advise.

Can i get an Admin to move this thread to the Pickup lounge please?

Comment

oh what the hell, since you're already here... I recommend the '59 for the neck and the JB for the bridge. It's a very versatile combination. Everything from Jazz to the Heavy stuff.
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by McLaughysSN
        I need something that will give me a nice thick distortion but yet tame, and the cleans need to have at least a little balls (i dont like brittle cleans in the bridge).
        It sounds like you might like the CC. The clean tones jump out of the CC and it really projects with good distortion.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

My vote would be keeping the Jazz and swapping the C-5 for a JB. You would definitely get the more ballsy sound from the JB....you can add a little of the Jazz to it for warmth.
          Great combo! I use it in my LP.
          ....Bob

Comment

I gotta say, I never liked the Jazz- a very misleading name, since it sounds way too bright to be jazzy. I use the APH2 & CC. I have a JB in my Brian Moore, but it is a little too '80s rock' for me. The CC in my Ernie Ball sounds much more complex.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm a C-5 man, and I just put a CC/Seth in one of my main players, a Prem Plus Std.
              Last night, I listened closely to a C-5, CC, and JB in Les pauls....I'd say get the CC.
              The C-5 is a great pickup and has the best cleans of JB and all the Customs, but tone for tone, the CC in a LP is very difficult to beat. I honestly can't decide between the C-5 and CC, so I just have them both in my 2 main players.

Custom - Tight, crunchy, and nice output.
              C-5 - big tight lows, neutral mids, and airy highs. Great clean or distorted.
              CC - Fat, well balanced, dense in lower mids, and sweet top end.
              C-4 - Articulate and balanced, hard feeling under your fingers compared to others.
              JB - Best high note solo tone of all of them, heavy on the high mids, and bouncy lows.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

if i owned a paul, id double up with seth lovers in both positions. I can't pass off a chance to play a sweet sounding PAF les paul. Seths are alnico 2's so they're warm and fat sounding, and get great overdriven tones. If Iron Maiden got some of the best metal tones of all time during their pre-****inson era using paf's in Strats, I'm sure it can only get better with a les paul body.
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                X