Mesa Rectifier with EL34's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Rectifier with EL34's

How do they differ from the 6l6's? how do they sound? opinions?

Re: Mesa Rectifier with EL34's

I've always wondered myself.

I keep meaning to try that Eurotube integrated quad thing (two E34L's and two 6L6's), but I keep putting it off.

Maybe I'll put in an order tonight......
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

i just did it with a pair of EL34's i had lying around.. WOW, so much clarity, SO MUCH GROWL!!! it takes away a bit of gain, BUT WELL WORTH IT

Comment

Very interesing, Holydirt. Unfortunately, the gain is essential. ROCK!

Comment

Do you really honestly need the gain level on 10 with that amp? If it lost a little bit of gain, it would still have enough to cover more than enough hardcore music. After a while, it becomes one saturated swarm of bees, but that's just me.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            Do you really honestly need the gain level on 10 with that amp? If it lost a little bit of gain, it would still have enough to cover more than enough hardcore music. After a while, it becomes one saturated swarm of bees, but that's just me.

I run mine at about 13:00 on the gain knob (about 6-7).

Then again, I also boost it on occasion.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

To each his own I guess. I have tried EL34s in my Tremoverb and didn't like it.
              The cleans become very brittle with a reduction in bass. The Modern Red channel loses a fair amount of chunk and the bottom gets a little flabby.
              I prefer SED 6L6s for my setup.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
              Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
              Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
              Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Amp companies usually voice their EQ to suit the tube type they use, so if the 6L6's end up sounding better in a Rec. it wouldn't surprise me. At least they offer that bias switch, so you can at least try it.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X