Warmoth Mutant Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth Mutant Guitars

how would a les paul with a cbs fender neck sound? What are LP necks made of? Anyone tried this before?
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: Warmoth Mutant Guitars

Gibson LP necks (as well as most copies) are Mahogany with Rosewood fretboards. Not only would having a maple fender neck change the sound, but the scale length (25.5 vs. 24.75) difference and the bolt-on vs. set-neck would all contribute to a different sound. If you're just looking for an LP with a Maple neck, I think the Zakk Wylde LPs are...

Comment

for a first project, I'd stick with tried and true wood formulas
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

problem is the zakk wylde lps are mad expensive. I'm just browsing for deals right now, im gonna upgrade my rig and build a backup guitar that i'm gonna fund with my next summer job. How would a mahogany tele with seth lovers sound?
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

it would sound great, of course

seriously, I'm considering a mahogany tele and/ or strat sometime .. I've never heard a bad word about doing those in mahogany, in fact, "The Stratocaster Chronicles" has a picture of a matched pair - a red mahogany strat and tele, and they claim that those intruments sound great

mahogany varies in weight, like any other wood, so you can find bodies of decent weight, and it's known for it's warm tone

I'd actually like to do a tele with a mahogany body, and a mahogany neck/ rosewood fretboard .. although I want to use sc's
          however, humbuckers or P90s would sound terrific in a tele like that
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

do mahogany necks need to be painted/finished? and do they contribute to the warmth of the guitar? And last question curly, which is thicker/heavier-an LP or a Tele, if both were mahogany of the same density?

Comment

yes, mahogany needs to be finished ..
              however, according to Warmoth, their necks come "sealed, ready to finish", or you can have them finish
              and, I'm not saying you have to use a mahogany neck, either - that's just something I'd like to do - partly for tone, partly for cosmetics

a tele would be lighter ..
              Les Pauls run mostly 8.5-9.5 pounds these days; teles are closer to 7-8 pounds, as far as I know (I don't have a scale to weigh mine)

hope that helps some
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

I have a warmoth mahogany bodied tele-hollow/no f-hole, finished in sonic blue, with a maple neck/ebony fretboard (conversion neck-gibson scale length) that is very warm. Currently has an alnico II Pro in the neck and a JB in the bridge. The tone is huge.

I think the body wood is more important than the neck wood in terms of overall "warmth" of tone. There have been plenty of Mahogany bodied/maple necked les pauls in the 70s, and I doubt anyone can tell the difference on a recording.
                Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Originally posted by hacker
                  There have been plenty of Mahogany bodied/maple necked les pauls in the 70s
                  I was gonna say that, Norlin Les Pauls from the 70's and 80's have maple necks.

Comment

Don't a lot of people recommend putting a lighter wood on top of mahogany for tone? E.g. Maple...

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939
                      Gibson LP necks (as well as most copies) are Mahogany with Rosewood fretboards. Not only would having a maple fender neck change the sound, but the scale length (25.5 vs. 24.75) difference and the bolt-on vs. set-neck would all contribute to a different sound. If you're just looking for an LP with a Maple neck, I think the Zakk Wylde LPs are...

All the agiles until the 3000 series have maple necks.... all the epiphones I've seen have had maple necks besides the elitists... most of the dillions have maple necks... nelsonics have maple necks.... correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny R
                        Don't a lot of people recommend putting a lighter wood on top of mahogany for tone? E.g. Maple...

SGs, Vs, and Explorers are all mahogany and they sound bright enough... if anything, they lack bass compared to les pauls. I think that has more to do with the thickness of the body. I've been told that maple adds brightness to mahogany, but more importantly certain mid frequencies are scooped as a result of the combination of the two woods. Either way sounds good to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny R

some people do. some dont. some like it becuase of the top that it adds (flamed or curled). normally though, a maple cap adds brightness to the sound.
                          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                          fender mim standard strat
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic
                          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

oh and curly, how did you paint your blue tele? It just looks so damn nice, I want that style of finish on the tele im gonna build for next summer. Is it a thin lacquer or something? i really love the looks!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                              it would sound great, of course

seriously, I'm considering a mahogany tele and/ or strat sometime .. I've never heard a bad word about doing those in mahogany, in fact, "The Stratocaster Chronicles" has a picture of a matched pair - a red mahogany strat and tele, and they claim that those intruments sound great

mahogany varies in weight, like any other wood, so you can find bodies of decent weight, and it's known for it's warm tone

I'd actually like to do a tele with a mahogany body, and a mahogany neck/ rosewood fretboard .. although I want to use sc's
                              however, humbuckers or P90s would sound terrific in a tele like that
                              I have a Custom made Tele Thinline. It is a Mahogony body with a Flame maple Cap. It has a birdseye maple neck with a ebony FB. I have 2 Duncans in it a 59 & a Jazz both tone and volume knobs are push pull to split coils. This guitar is really very sweet, but it sounds more 335, than Tele. A solid Mahogony Tele will have a LP JR. type of sound :
                              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                              X