banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does everyone here wear earplugs when cranking their amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does everyone here wear earplugs when cranking their amps?

Lots of us here have very powerful valve amps, and lots of them need a good cranking to get them cooking unless you've got attenuators. So does everyone wear ear protection when cranking their amps for practice and stuff or only sometimes?

And how many of them are professional earplugs?

Ive taken to wearing earplugs at clubs and live band shows now every time, but i want to get some professional plugs that just drop the DB level without losing frequencies because the ones i use right now work great but im sure im missing out on something.
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Does everyone here wear earplugs when cranking their amps?

NO I don't and YES I should be.. it's the problem you mentioned.. wanna just drop the volume without losing eq... occasionally I use them but find myself taking them back out because of the eq loss..

I've been thinking of going getting those proffesional moulded ones..

Comment

how much are good ear plugs
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

For actual rehearsals, I'll wear them, even though I hate them. For practicing, or just hearing my rig when playing, heck no, I gotta hear them, no matter how loud they are.
        Stupid, I know, but I's got's to hear it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I don't, except when listening to other bands in front of a PA, then I wear them religiously.
          For me, I use a low wattage tube amp (or a preamp straight into the PA), and I am never in the direct line of it, always off to the side. I sit when I play, facing across the stage, far enough away from the cymbals. I also unplug any monitors in front of me, since I don't sing in my band. I never put myself in direct line of damaging volumes. We actually play quietly on stage, and it makes it much more enjoyable..so much more than the 'half stacks on either side of the drummer facing out' rock n roll setup.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wear them a reasonable amount - tend to be sponge or plastic ones from a Chemist (read drugstore, Americans...)

Normally 27-33 db attenuation

Comment

I rarely play my low-watt combos loud enough for long periods of time to do real damage, but as Mincer mentioned above, I've gotten religious about wearing them to shows where I'm standing 20-30 feet from the PA.

Comment

Always, whether I'm watching a band or playing onstage.

My hearings too important to me...

At home my amp never gets past 1 anyway so I don't bother.. I wouldn't hear the damn thing if I did!
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I use Heros. They cut out a bunch of the frequencies! For the longest time I thought my amp was broken, but it was just the earplugs...

But yeah, I still wear 'em anyway...

Comment

Bottom line -- when most of you lose your high end frequencies from too much volume abuse, you can just crank the treble on your amp and it'll sound the same as before you lost your hearing.

But if and when my high end goes, I'm going to have to get a new job.

My choice: Westone, custom molded plugs with the 15dB filters. They have a flat response, so they don't color the sound. I also wear them in loud nightclubs and on puddle-jumper plane flights or anywhere my ears can be stressed.

Cause I really don't want to be asking, "Would you like fries with that?"
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                      Bottom line -- when most of you lose your high end frequencies from too much volume abuse, you can just crank the treble on your amp and it'll sound the same as before you lost your hearing.

But if and when my high end goes, I'm going to have to get a new job.

My choice: Westone, custom molded plugs with the 15dB filters. They have a flat response, so they don't color the sound. I also wear them in loud nightclubs and on puddle-jumper plane flights or anywhere my ears can be stressed.

Cause I really don't want to be asking, "Would you like fries with that?"
                      Evan, do you find 15 DB of attenuation to be enough to sufficiently protect your ears? I've always used the 33 DB Hearos. They do mess with the frequencies you hear, but it's worth it to maintain excellent hearing.

For those of you who are bothered vy the fact that earplugs cut more of the high end, try the Hearos rock and roll earplugs. If you're not willing to drop $150 on a custom set, these are a good choice because they attenuate more evenly across the frequency spectrum.

Ryan
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                        Evan, do you find 15 DB of attenuation to be enough to sufficiently protect your ears?
                        Ryan:

I got my Westones fitted at the House Ear Institute in LA. They told me that 15dB is usually sufficient for most concert settings. Click on that link to learn more about hearing and plugs.

But keep this in mind, when you stand right in front of the PA, the sound is entering your body through bone conduction, in addition through your ear canals -- and even the best plugs won't protect against that.

- EAS
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
                          Ryan:

I got my Westones fitted at the House Ear Institute in LA. They told me that 15dB is usually sufficient for most concert settings.
                          Ya gotta remember that dB is a logarithmic measure and not a linear one, so every 10 db increase is double the volume. That being said 15db is plenty.

I have a pair of $15 hearos with the filters in 'em and they work great... they don't mess with the frequencies too much. So I just take 'em out to adjst tones and put 'em in for jam time.

Comment

Near anything louder than a Motorcycle for more than a few seconds I immediately pop im my Westone es-1s, which I almost always have on me

Westone's wide array of hearing healthcare products include hearing aids, hearing aid accessories, hearing aid batteries, custom earplugs, ear impressions, and much more.
                            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I used to wear them, but I couldn't stand the way I lost clarity in the upper midrange and treble. So I don't wear them anymore. I'll tell you a story, though. Eight years ago when my wife & I were dating, we were at a county fair near my hometown. They had a hearing test booth. She was always complaining that I made her repeat things, so I told her I'd take the test. I went into the booth and put on the headphones and listened to the tones, etc. As I was walking out of the booth, the tester was saying to my wife that he "would be very careful as to what I said around him, even in a whisper". Apparently my hearing was still in the upper 5 % of the above normal range of hearing. My wife upon hearing this stated, "But he never hears anything that I'm saying!" to which the tester sunk my boat and said "Then he's being 'selective'." Guess that'll teach me, huh? I still go crazy in the TV section at Sears. Apparently I'm sensitive to ultrasonics.
                              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X