Univalve & Valvetronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Univalve & Valvetronix

I recently purchased a THD Univalve head & and an Avatar 2x12 cabinet with one Celestion Vintage 30 and one Celestion G12H30. I was thinking this would replace my Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12 combo. Then I tried running them together and it's amazing. I plug my guitar into the Univalve and use it's line out (instrument level) to run the Valvetronix at the same time.

I'm running two amps and it's a big wide full tone. These amps compliment each other and seem to cancel out each others weaknesses. By weaknesses I mean, the THD is a bit bright and the Valvetronix is a bit flat (lifeless)IMHO.

Together they sound great. I've found two really cool tones. One running the
    Roll (clean) channel on the Univalve with everything dimed (built in Hotplate at 9 o'clock/ 75% attenuation) and using an AC-15 patch on the Valvetronix with compression, delay and reverb. The result is a sweet fat clean tone on my single cool neck and not bad on a humbucker. For dirty and humbuckers I use the Rock Channel of the Univalve with volume around 1 o'clock, treble at 3, bass 4, attitude dimed and the Marshall 80's setting on the Valvetronix with the same compression, delay and reverb. Big fat bassy distorted sound.

On both settings, the Valvetronix has to be on at least the 15 watt setting and about half on the master volume.

After much searching and trial and error, I've found my sound. Thank god.

I was playing recently and my roomate was listening and got a look on his face like which amp are you playing. I didn't say anything to him about my set-up. He put his ear next to both amps and figured it out and said that sounds great. He is not a guitar player and rarely comments on my playing. This is a pro set-up. I'm done searching for a little while. This is so much more musical. No more turd polishing for now.

I also just put in a NOS 6k6 power tube in the Univalve, which cuts the output to 4 watts, just about right for bedroom level. This tube also makes the built in hotplate alot less touchy and I can go 3/4 attenuation and it still sounds good. If it sounds good, it's right. :fing25:
    Last edited by Mkf411; 09-03-2004, 10:15 AM.
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"
Working...
X