banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Plexi/ C5 loaded Les Paul combo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Plexi/ C5 loaded Les Paul combo...

As some of you may know im getting a killer 50w marshall plexi reissue which i am really excited about and am curious about how a C5/'59 loaded Les Paul would sound through the Plexi when its cranked... Im a little nervous there will some flubbiness and it will be muddy sounding because the C5 is so bassy and the plexi is a completely different vintage beast than modern high gain amps which are designed with things like that involved. I like having good bass just as long as i get good clarity and no flubb or boominess. And how is this combo for the hot, fluid, lead style i am in to. Anyone have some experience with this? If i have to i can just go with a JB instead... Anything you have to say would be helpful!

Thanks
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: Marshall Plexi/ C5 loaded Les Paul combo...

Go for it, you wont have issues.

The closest thing I have to a Plexi is a 1984, EL34 loaded JCM 800 and nothing I've tried so far on that amp involving a LP and a C-5 has sounded bad, muddy or even loose in the bottom.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

LP + C5 + Plexi = Pure whoopass. After hearing all the polls with CC put above the
      Custom 5 in clip polls, I decided to put a CC in my other main player. Although, I can see why people love the CC in clips (and it does sound nice), the C-5 is tighter, clearer, and shakes the hand of a plexi much better. The looser bottom and muddier tone came from the CC, not the C-5 in my tests....plugged into the cranked Ecstasy set on Plexi mode. The CC sounds thicker in clips but the C-5 has a much better bottom end and clearer mids and highs. Plexis are very midrangey amps, so JB's will sound good, but very mid dominant.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If you want the tone of the plexi to shine through....don't overlook the APH. It's the most balanced pickup made by Duncan (IMO), and it really lets your guitar and your amp shine. I find the bottom more than tight enough, but not as tight as the C5.....but never flubby. It's kind of like my girl on the left, plenty tight, but with just enough softness to make you forget how to speak english momentarily.

Just a thought.
        Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-04-2004, 09:33 PM.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

That sounds like a nice setup but your speakers will also play a big part. Greenbacks are a good compliment to that setup.

I have a 50w plexi RI with greenback/blue dog speakers. My Les Paul is loaded with a Seth Lover/ 59n at the moment. The C5/59n pair is very sweet too. I had that setup for a while also.
          Last edited by Stevo; 09-04-2004, 09:53 PM.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Just thought I'd pass this on. I was looking at Hoffmanamps website,
            And I saw he make's point 2 Point wired Plexi boards to replace the
            PCBs in the reissue's for $200. I was just wondering if anybody tried
            this ? And does it offer a big tonal differance? The kit also fits into
            a Fender Bassman If I find a SF Bassman cheap ? I may
            be smelling G.A.S.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

should a seth lover sound better in an LP through a plexi? Isn't that the original combination besides '59 style pickups?
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I'm curious about hearing a Seth Bridge through a Marshall. That's one pickup I haven't heard in a LP. I have a feeling I'd probably pot it first, just because the highest gain I use would make it squeal. I still like the CC a lot, but for a plexi, I'd be inclined to stay with C-5, Custom, or 59. I'm trying to test every Duncan in Pauls, just so I know for myself what I like the best. I gotta find an Alnico 3 magnet, cause I really want to try a C-3.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Antiquities in a LP through a Marshall sound bad to the bone and I'd have to assume the Seths would also sound killer.
                  www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                  www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

I have a bunch of C5 and Seth Lover clips, Les Paul and Marshalls.. here are a few SL/59 tunes..

Seth Pair, 2204

SL Pair, 2204 2

SL/59n, Plexi

SL/59n, Plexi 2
                    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

As mentioned previously, a C5 thru a Plexi/JCM800 is pure tonal bliss! I don't think you can go wrong with that set-up.

Comment

EXCELLENT!!! Im sure ill love it, my Les Paul is only 2 years old and is beat to $hit and doesnt look to pretty anymore but it fits like a glove and just has character! I need to get some pics of it up, its a standard but has a half flamed, half curly top, it pretty funny...
                        EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Working...
                        X