Epiphone vs Gibson Frets and Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone vs Gibson Frets and Parts

I have heard that Epiphones' frets are only 12% nickel as opposed to the normal 18% which lasts longer. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Also I have heard that some Gibson replacement parts such as toggle switches may not always fit Epiphones and I have heard the switches sometimes go out on the Epis. If the Gibson toggle switches don't fit, how hard is it to find a replacement Epi switch? and where can one get replacement Epi parts?

Also the tuners aren't very good on the Epis, or at least the one I tried. The tuners would probably need to be replaced with Gotohs or something.

I like the Epihone G-400's a lot but was wondering about these 3 issues which might be drawbacks if true.

Other than that I like the Epi G-400s real well and the stock alnico V magnets aren't bad for stock though if I got one I would eventually be replacing the pups with either Custom Cover series Seth Lovers (wax potted) or 59's.

I guess even if the frets wear out prematurely one could get a refret job and still not have the big bucks in the guitar one would pay for a Gibson. I think the Epihone stock pups are actually better than Gibson stock pups, but that wouldn't be an issue since I would be replacing them with Duncans anyway.
    Last edited by Twang Man; 09-04-2004, 07:32 PM.

Re: Epiphone vs Gibson Frets and Parts

i just got a vintage white epi g310 and the hardware on it is fine, it keeps its tune amazingly well. i guess some you just get lucky with. as far as pots and switches i just got it so i havnt had any trouble with it yet. gibson replacement parts should fit except the pickguard doesnt on the g310 because its seems to be a little different than the other models. as far as pickups go......they suck ass . im going to put some chreme pickup rings on and a duncan distortion in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.
    The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

Gibson parts generally don't fit epiphones in my experience... WD parts are fine though. Don't replace crappy epiphone parts with more crappy epiphone parts.

Comment

my feeling on the epi stuff is that a new switch is a good idea and pots arent a bad idea either. the guitars can be pretty nice, not the same as a gibson but still nice.
        gibson parts dont usually fit so i tend to widen the switch hole to accomodate a good switch, same with the pots.

if the tuners are grovers and they stay in tune dont worry about them. if they arent grovers or they dont stay in tunethen replace them.

as far as the fret wire, i wouldnt be supprised. import frets (other than good japanese guitars) tend to wear faster from what ive seen.

Comment

Working...
        X