Lighting and your Axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting and your Axe

I was considering hanging some of those Ikea track lights in my room. They are Halogen lights. Does anyone know if halogen has any adverse effects on guitar finishes?

What about natural light for that matter?

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Lighting and your Axe

As long as the halogen dosnt overheat a guitar too much, to cause warping of plastic or finish checking, you should be ok. I'm pretty sure that it'd be fine. Maybe get a UV bulb and "age" your guitars while they're up there looking pretty
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

could you actually do that? hmmmmmm.....maybe i can age my unageable poly finish on the strat
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Quencho, you could age the finish by sitting it outside in the sun. It works really really well down here in Tx.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Bet you get some damn hot sun in Tx, would age that finish quicktime....
          "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
            could you actually do that? hmmmmmm.....maybe i can age my unageable poly finish on the strat
            UV won't do much to a poly finish but it has been known to fade guitars with transparent (dyed) finishes.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
            My Music

Comment

Oooh, good cover Al. I forgot about that, blue, green, stuff like that wont age with a poly finish. Oly white, sunburst, ect will.

Comment

With lights, my concern is always electrical hum, not the brightness or UV.

I put red rope light around the perimeter of the ceiling in my music room.
                The rehearsal studio has blue rope light. No brightness, just a nice vibe.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The finishing touch will be a lava lamp... cool!
                  On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

The type of lighting in your room will have no effect whatsoever if you put the guitar back in the case when not using it ....which will also protect the gutar from dust, bumps, and who-knows-what else.
                    <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

I would be more concerned with the "bzzzzzzzzzz' associated with said lighting than anything else.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Good points with the buzz. I'd have to turn them off then. I've tried the case thing, but I have this sort of "out of sight, out of mind" problem, so I have them hanging on the wall... like a Thomas Kinkaid painting... you wanna light 'em up. I'm thinking halogens, lava lamp, "lasers" and a fog machine.

If I'm gonna be a poseur, might as well go all out!

Know where I can get a groupie?

Comment

I agree with the guitar stand idea: keeping a guitar out where you can see it is much more motivating than looking at a sealed case. I suffer from the same malady!!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by DanteG
                            The type of lighting in your room will have no effect whatsoever if you put the guitar back in the case when not using it ....which will also protect the gutar from dust, bumps, and who-knows-what else.

I agree 100%. The safest place for your guitar is in its case. Hanging them, placing them on stands..... Its an accident waiting to happen.
                            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

its sunburst, what finishes do am deluxe strats come with?
                              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                              X