banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do hardtail/tune-o-matic give better neck pup tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do hardtail/tune-o-matic give better neck pup tone?

Am I just crazy, or do they sound better? I solo 85% using neck pickups and I've noticed that my guitars with either tune-o-matic or hardtail style have a richer neck tone.

Is this true for vintage style trems too (Wilkinson, vintage Fender)? I dunno, maybe it's just something to do with double-locking trems?
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: Do hardtail/tune-o-matic give better neck pup tone?

Well a tuneomatic bridged guitar will sound more solid than an identically spec'd floyd axe.

Floyds (and any trem for that matter) need routing for the spring cavity etc, so you lose a lot of wood, which all adds up to a different tone.
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

do your floyd guitars have 24 fret necks? many times this ruins the neck pup tone and makes it sound more like a mid pickup
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
        do your floyd guitars have 24 fret necks? many times this ruins the neck pup tone and makes it sound more like a mid pickup
        Eh, only sometimes. It mostly can ruin the in between tones, but it only changes the neck tone a tad.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Thanks, guys. I think I will go Wilkinson. I prefer 21-22 fret guitars, but my Prestige Ibanez is a 24-fret guitar. There is a minor difference with the # of frets, and I know it's pretty small, but for me, it's a world of difference because the essence of my tone lies in the neck pickup.
          Watch My Videos
          Photography

Comment

i think hardtails are always a little better than trem guitars, but i have a wilkinson vs100 (i think) and its great. solid tone and works well

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
              i think hardtails are always a little better than trem guitars, but i have a wilkinson vs100 (i think) and its great. solid tone and works well
              Thanks, Jeremy. How would you compare the Wilkinson to your hardtails (tone-wise)? I'm looking to get THE MOST out of my neck pups.
              Watch My Videos
              Photography

Comment

i like the wilkinson trems. really smooth action and never are stiff or go out of tune.
                if your talking about hardtails like on the PGM's then i guess you'd getter an overall better tone since you are using the more overall mass of the wood and it seems the string tension is a bit tighter.

Comment

I really like the trem I have now, but I could probably live without it. My only gripe is how the guitar's strings have to be tuned back and forth a few times before it holds a new tuning. Forget about switching tunings live (that's why I use my Dean and Epi... they're alternatively tuned guitars to switch to when needed ).
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                    i like the wilkinson trems. really smooth action and never are stiff or go out of tune.
                    if your talking about hardtails like on the PGM's then i guess you'd getter an overall better tone since you are using the more overall mass of the wood and it seems the string tension is a bit tighter.
                    Thanks, moom. I think I will go hardtail in that case. I'm not much of a trem wanker, but for when I DO need it, I got my Ibanez's This will r0x! I'll be able to go nutz without having to worry about going out of tune from breaking a string or bending too much
                    Watch My Videos
                    Photography

Comment

yep

plus you'll be able to do those aweosme double stops without nothing to worry about!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I love my Wilkinson as well. The only nit I have to pick with it is the "flutter" I get when strumming hard (I have it in my Carvin set to full float).
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                        X