Fargen Blackbird??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fargen Blackbird??

Seems like a pretty hot amp. Has anyone played on one?
    Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Re: Fargen Blackbird??

nah, but a buddy of mine had another fargan. not sure what one, he loves it but i havent tried it

Comment

With a name like fargen, cool amp naming possibilities are endless:

Fargen Gonuts
      Fargen Unbelievable
      Fargen Ridiculous
      Fargen A**hole...
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Out of all the Fargens, I like the Mightyplex the best....the Miniplex is cool too, but it's a bit underpowered for my taste. The Blackbird is a Deluxe 6V6 copy. Good, but I still like old Deluxes or Tophat Club Deluxe better. Are you able to play one, or just looking at them on the net?
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Out of all the Fargens, I like the Mightyplex the best....the Miniplex is cool too, but it's a bit underpowered for my taste. The Blackbird is a Deluxe 6V6 copy. Good, but I still like old Deluxes or Tophat Club Deluxe better. Are you able to play one, or just looking at them on the net?
          Confined to net-shopping, unfortunately. I'm still looking around for a fairly compact ~20-30W 6L6 or 6V6 tube amp. There's a Victoria dealer somewhat close by and I'd like to check some of those out.

Why do you think the Tophat Club is better?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
            It's pronounced "Far-Jen"

And I'm sure Mr. Ben Fargen finds you hilarious...
            Okay, not my best work, I admit.
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
              Okay, not my best work, I admit.
              What are you fargen talking about?
              ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                Confined to net-shopping, unfortunately. I'm still looking around for a fairly compact ~20-30W 6L6 or 6V6 tube amp. There's a Victoria dealer somewhat close by and I'd like to check some of those out.

Why do you think the Tophat Club is better?

Dave

I have just ordered a new 5F4 Tweed Kit from Bruce at Mission Amps in Colorado. www.missionamps.com

He's made a name for his 5E3 Tweed Deluxe kits , but they're only 20 watts or less and break up too quickly for me. So I'm building a 2x10 (4 ohm total) 5F4. You can get it in a 1x15 (8ohm), or 3x10 ff you prefer. I don't think they were making 2x12's back then in this Tweed combos.

You can buld these yourself and save MAJOR jack. Plus, you'll learn a lot. all you have to do is follow directions, pictures, etc.,. you have to figure out how to solder, but that's about all. It's not hard, really.

Also, see if you can find a carr Rambler 1x12. It's a nice blackface tone and has verb.

Fargen makes nice stuff as well. But, i"d build my own before I'd buy a Vickie.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks, Scott-

I just PM'd Curly-I think he has/had a Rambler. Like to hear what he thinks I've really been thinking about them after a few hours on their website...jonesin'.....

The Victorias seem like they have great design and wonderful reviews-I wish their website was more informative, though.

What's the estimated cost of your kit, may I ask? The amps above are pricey-easily north of 1500.

But-if that's my sound, I'm in Tele heaven...

Comment

I picked up a used (great shape) Victoria laquered 2x10 combo cab off ebay for 200 bucks. (New ones cost a bit more than that from no-name makers) It still has the Victoria faceplate on the front.

I grabbed two 10" Eminece Copperheads for less than a hundred.

The kits are going to run a bit over 500 I think. I'm not sure exactly if Bruce has worked out a final price. I never even asked, I just gave him my credit card number.

My Tweed Deluxe ended up costing about 650 to build. The new one will be way less than 1000.

A comparable Victoria is two to three times as much. Don't anyone tell me about how much better the vickie build quality is. BS. I built a damn nice 5E3. Great quality and great workmanship, if I dont' say so myself. The transformers that Bruce uses are very much as good as they get.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Or just go buy a decent-shape late 60's early 70's Fender Silverface 40watt amp and have a local tech blackface it and bring it up to code. lesst than a 1000 once again. And you've got a great old vintage amp.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Here's a cool Rambler...

Comment

Working...
                        X