Tele GAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele GAS

I bought my first Tele. It's a James Burton Signature Model that I got off of eBay. I'm not too crazy about the Candy Apple Red finish but the neck is an absolute dream and after I put an aged white pickguard on it it it looks a lot better. I put Wilkinson compensated brass saddles on on it and have it all set up and it sounds real nice. I will eventually put some duncans in it but for right now the stock pickups are alright.

One question I have is about the saddles. I have the saddles set to the bridge radius and the action I like but I noticed a couple of the strings slide a little on the brass saddles while bending. Do you Tele guys usually file string slots into the saddles once you have it set-up or is this a common problem that you have to deal with? I am new to teles (I have 3 Les Pauls and a strat) so any help would be appreciated.
    Peavey Classic 30 with Celestion G12H30
    Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 / SD Pickup Booster
    1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio- Custom (b) 59 (A4) (n)
    2001 58 Gibson Les Paul Reissue- 50th Anniv Seth Lover Set
    2002 Gibson Gary Moore Signature Les Paul- Stock
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard- Antiquity Set
    2001 Gibson ES335- 57 Classics
    2004 Gibson Les Paul Jr.- Antiquity Dog Ear
    Highway-1 (parts-o-caster)- Antiquity Texas Hot set
    Highway-1 (parts-o-Tele)- Antiquity Set

Re: Tele GAS

i have never filed anything into the saddles but i do have a "slot" worn in my oldest teles steel saddles.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I have 2 Teles. One has six saddles. This is a California Tele. It has a Strat PUP in the Neck. The saddles have a channel for the string to stay in. My other Tele is a 52RI. This has 3 saddles or barrels as they are called. They have no grooves in them, and it has not presented any problems(other than the normal intonation issues associated with the 3 barrels). Once the strings are on the guitar for a while the string will find a place it wants to be and settle in. I would leave it alone.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks for the input. They are the compensated saddles so I haven't noticed any intonation problems, just a little string slippage. I have noticed that the strings are starting to make slight indentations in the barrells so I think your right, I'll just leave it and over time they will wear a little spot and find a home.
        Peavey Classic 30 with Celestion G12H30
        Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 / SD Pickup Booster
        1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio- Custom (b) 59 (A4) (n)
        2001 58 Gibson Les Paul Reissue- 50th Anniv Seth Lover Set
        2002 Gibson Gary Moore Signature Les Paul- Stock
        2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard- Antiquity Set
        2001 Gibson ES335- 57 Classics
        2004 Gibson Les Paul Jr.- Antiquity Dog Ear
        Highway-1 (parts-o-caster)- Antiquity Texas Hot set
        Highway-1 (parts-o-Tele)- Antiquity Set

Comment

Congrats on the JB Tele, that is a sweet neck. My brass comp saddles have worn their own grooves, when I put a Bigsby on my Esquire, they moved too much...I got some threaded brass saddles and problem solved. On my Tele-Gib, the brass saddles notched themselves nicely over a few years.
          <---

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
          Celestion speakers
          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
          Too many pedals....

Comment

i just got my first tele also.... a lite ash tele... and it has the 3 brass barrel saddles. there are 2 grooves on each barrel... 1 on each end.... so 1 groove per string
            '05 Gibson SG Standard
            '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
            PRS IRW McCarty
            '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
            82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Working...
            X