Les Paul serial numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul serial numbers?

Hey guys, does anyone know how to tell what year a Les Paul was made, based on the serial number? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Les Paul serial numbers?

Here check this out:

-Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

i think there's a slight error on the site. in 1990 the montana factory started to use nos.1-299 and the nashville factory starting at 300. ived seen 90s and current les pauls with last 3 digit below 500
      2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Wow, sometimes I think those guys at Gibson could screw up a free lunch.
        Based on that serial number information, the guitar I'm looking at could be a '65, '68, '74, or '75 model.

Does anyone know if all 70's models had "Made in USA" stamped on the back of the headstocks? According to that site, "Made in USA" was stamped on the back of the headstocks in 1970, but it doesn't say if Gibson kept doing it throughout the 70's.

This is one of those situations where the seller knows nothing about guitars, so they're not going to be able to help me that much. If it happens to be a 60's model, this could potentially be a huge gear score for me at a great price. Are there any other distinguishing features that I could use to determine what year it was made? Thanks for the help.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

if the "i" is dotted on the logo than it is at least a '72
          '05 Gibson SG Standard
          '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
          PRS IRW McCarty
          '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
          82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Originally posted by Ez74
            if the "i" is dotted on the logo than it is at least a '72
            hmm, Ive never heard of that one before

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
              hmm, Ive never heard of that one before
              Taken from the Gibson Electrics document - Identifying the Gibson Headstock:
              "In 1947, the logo that is still in use today made its debut. This logo has a block styling with the G having a tail, the i dot is touching the G, the b and o are open and the n is connected at the bottom. The logo is still slanted. By 1951, the dot on the i was no longer connected to the G. In 1967, the logo styling became even more squared (pentographed) with the b and o becoming closed and the i dot being removed.
              In 1970, Gibson replaced the black tinted piece of wood that had been used on the peghead face with a black fiber that the logo and other peghead inlay were placed into. With the change in peghead facing came a slightly smaller logo lettering. In 1972, the i dot reappeared on the peghead logo. In 1981, the n is connected at the top of the o. There are a few models through the years that do not follow this timeline, ie: reissues and limited editions, but most of the production instruments can be found with the above feature changes".
              Normans Guitars

Comment

i got the info from the newest blue book
                '05 Gibson SG Standard
                '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                PRS IRW McCarty
                '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Working...
                X