man, WTF? my ES-125 sounds like a banjo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• man, WTF? my ES-125 sounds like a banjo

I just noticed this recently. It has the original rw bridge, and org. nut. I'm thinking about changing it to bone, but still. no matter what im getting this plinky slightly banjo like sound. very thin. anyone got any help on this? :******:
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Re: man, WTF? my ES-125 sounds like a banjo

Raise the action to the point where there's very little buzz. Put a man size string on it,
    like 11's, or at least 10's. Decide whether or not the guitar is really "you."
    If so, put Duncans in. If not, sell it. There's a seat for every ass. LOL
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

the action is high, and man sized strings? you have no idea (15's big enough? I use this guitar for alot of open D and like the tension of 13's). I dont really wanna put duncans in it (its a '52) and cant sell it (it was a gift). I'm in the process of refreting it (only gibson I've ever seen w/ skinny small frets). do you think that'll help?
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

No.

Comment

15's? You might as well use bass stings. Wow.

If anything rattling? Strings old? Strings buzzing? Wish I could give you an answer.

Comment

you have a Gibson that guitar that sounds like a banjo? show us a pic!! Something's awry

Comment

Are you sure your pickups aren't out of phase, either with each other or within themselves?
              Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Was it plugged in?

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                  the action is high, and man sized strings? you have no idea (15's big enough? I use this guitar for alot of open D and like the tension of 13's). I dont really wanna put duncans in it (its a '52) and cant sell it (it was a gift). I'm in the process of refreting it (only gibson I've ever seen w/ skinny small frets). do you think that'll help?
                  Go for medium jumbo or jumbo frets instead of skinny frets as this will give you a better sound and will stop "choking". If you can get a good bone or graphite nut put in that would be a help. As far as strings go if you are using 15's then I don't know why you are having these problems as it should not sound like a banjo even unplugged. My guess is that you may be using the wrong type of strings and perhaps you should consider getting some jazz strings (heavy flatwounds?.
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

Are you sure your pickups aren't out of phase, either with each other or within themselves?
                    There's your most likely culprit.

Comment

you say you are in the process of refretting it... maybe that has something to do with it.
                      '05 Gibson SG Standard
                      '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                      PRS IRW McCarty
                      '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                      82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

Is this the old sunburst archtop guitar with f-holes and 1 or 2 p-90's that you are talking about? If so I just sold one not to long ago. they do have a "interesting" tone/timbre. It is similar to the old Charlie Christians guitar. I think the guitar lends itself to slide playing. that is what i used it for. I think I understand the sound you are explaining. i think that is just how they sound. Mine had a good tone when plugged into a tube amp. Not sure what to tell you. Use 11s or 12s for strings.
                        Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
                        gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
                        SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

I got some bigger frets and that helped alot. I refreted all but the last four frets, since I cant and dont play up there. I do mostly use it for slide, but when I tune to standard down a step to play some good ol' fingerstyle, it has a strange sound. Plugged in you cant really tell, but the sustain dies off fast unplugged and has a fairly "light" tone. and like '54Strat said, its only one P-90 pup, vol and tone. 2 f-holes, ect.
                          Last edited by beandip; 03-31-2004, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Err...I have a banjo going if you wanna work out a deal :fing25:

Comment

If that guitar sounds like a Greg Deering Limited.....I'll take it !!! LOL
                              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
                              X