Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Different Tone Pot Values on the Same Guitar

Here's a question for all you electronics gurus:

I've seen guitars where from the factory, they come with a 500K volume pot and a 250K tone pot. I'v also seen the exact opposite and other variations as well. I know the 250K vs. 500K philosophy where single coils vs. humbuckers are concerned but my question is, why would two different pot values be used and what is the reasoning behind which pot K value gets assigned to the volume and which pot K value gets assigned to the tone?

TIA,
    Martian

Re: Why Different Tone Pot Values on the Same Guitar

Originally posted by Martian
    Here's a question for all you electronics gurus:

I've seen guitars where from the factory, they come with a 500K volume pot and a 250K tone pot. I'v also seen the exact opposite and other variations as well. I know the 250K vs. 500K philosophy where single coils vs. humbuckers are concerned but my question is, why would two different pot values be used and what is the reasoning behind which pot K value gets assigned to the volume and which pot K value gets assigned to the tone?

TIA,
    Martian
    The higher the pot value,the less resistance the circuit sees,and the more highend in the circuit also...I Like to stay with the same pot values throughout but the tone pots could be 250k with a 500k volume pot..This gives the pickup(s)overall more highend and the 250k tone pots gives a guy quicker travel on the tone control adjustment as it shunts your highs to ground quicker with less taper...To me the volume pot is more critical to the overall equation than the tone pots...Experiment though and see what works for you? You can also taper a 500k pot down to 250k or 300k with the right value resistor..Something like a 750k across both outside pot terminals comes to mind? I have an article on this in the vault also that you can read and see..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      The higher the pot value,the less resistance the circuit sees,and the more highend in the circuit also...I Like to stay with the same pot values throughout but the tone pots could be 250k with a 500k volume pot..This gives the pickup(s)overall more highend and the 250k tone pots gives a guy quicker travel on the tone control adjustment as it shunts your highs to ground quicker with less taper...To me the volume pot is more critical to the overall equation than the tone pots...Experiment though and see what works for you? You can also taper a 500k pot down to 250k or 300k with the right value resistor..Something like a 750k across both outside pot terminals comes to mind? I have an article on this in the vault also that you can read and see..

John
      Clicky here..

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

John,

Thank you very much for your most informative response. I truly do appreciate it!

Martian

Comment

Originally posted by Martian
          John,

Thank you very much for your most informative response. I truly do appreciate it!

Martian
          Anytime...Glad I could help a forum buddy!

John

Comment

The higher the pot value,the less resistance the circuit sees . . .
            I'm sure this was a "typo", but the higher the pot, the more resistance the circuit sees.
            The higher the resistance, the lower the load on the pickup, which makes everything else John said true.

One of the rerasons the Tone pot isn't critical is, its not connected across the pickup. So, a 250k tone pot, turned all the way down, is exactly the same as a 500k tone pot turned down to "5". A 500k tone pot just gives you lower to go, or more highs to roll off.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              I'm sure this was a "typo", but the higher the pot, the more resistance the circuit sees.
              The higher the resistance, the lower the load on the pickup, which makes everything else John said true.

One of the rerasons the Tone pot isn't critical is, its not connected across the pickup. So, a 250k tone pot, turned all the way down, is exactly the same as a 500k tone pot turned down to "5". A 500k tone pot just gives you lower to go, or more highs to roll off.

Artie
              Thanks Artie for clearing that up for us...Just turned 44 and it's all down hill from here!

John

Comment

Working...
              X