banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this guy tried to get me to buy a Variax today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So this guy tried to get me to buy a Variax today...

Ya, I went into the local music store today to play around on this Joe Satriani Ibanez I've been GASing about for quite a while...and this conversation ensuing my profuse drooling goes as such:

Some guy I've never seen before: "Pfft, don't buy that! You'll be interested in a guitar that's pretty much 36 different kinds in one!"

Me: "Nah man, I've played one before. All the models sound pretty sterile. I'd rather spend my money on something that'll give me one great tone than a couple OK tones and numerous useless ones."

"Hey man, it'll cost you Thousands to get the sounds this thing makes!"

"I don't play more than three styles of music and I have guitars to cover those already. I just like the JS so I want to buy it"

"This guitar'll produce all the sounds that one you're looking at will and many more! it also has an acoustic simulator"

"I have an acoustic that works fine thanks. But let me ask you some questions. One, would you be proud to hold that thing in public? Also, would you rather spend $1,000 on a guitar that gives you a bunch of OK tones or $1,000 on a beautiful guitar that feels nice to you and produces the exact tone you want?"

"Of course not everyone is going to find the guitar ideal"

"right, and I'm not one of them. Now if you'd be so kind as to take down the JS and let me play on it through your 5150, I'll be happy. And by the way, in about a month I'm going to buy this."

...So pretty much it's just me oogling for that JS Ibanez I've been saving my money up for. I've got $800, which is enough for it but I've got some other bills to pay--such as my AP testing and whatnot. I have my Peavey 5150 on the way from Guitar Center (YEEEES) and an Ibanez JS soon to come. Already ordered the pickups I want for it: 59/JB combo. Oh yes

by the way guys, I like how the forum looks. The pickup icons are awesome and the smilies rock. Especially like this one: :fing25:
    haha

yea, I haven't been here in a while. Anyone miss me? lol
    RG470 w/EMG 85/81
    Strat w/Duncan Invader & Vintage Staggered

Re: So this guy tried to get me to buy a Variax today...

i hate it when guitar sales people think they know what you want more that you do

Comment

I saw those Variax's goin for $799 the other day

Comment

Man, that guy sounds like a twit

In my personal experience I've found HiFi salesmen to be the worst.

Most of them happen to think the gear in their shop is 'much better' than the other brands in other shops, no matter what international reviews etc might say.

For some reason they like to scoff at other brands. My friend went to one shop to buy a CD player, and the guy asked what amp he would be running it through. In an attempt to sell him an amp too (we suspect anyway - seems like a dum way to try) he told him his amp (multi award winner etc) was crap, and he should buy one of the great ones they had in his store, which of course were much better.

Oops, sorry to get carried away on your thread here, just had too much of crap salespeople recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor1911
          "I have an acoustic that works fine thanks. But let me ask you some questions. One, would you be proud to hold that thing in public? Also, would you rather spend $1,000 on a guitar that gives you a bunch of OK tones or $1,000 on a beautiful guitar that feels nice to you and produces the exact tone you want?"
          I wouldn't mind being seen with one of those Line 6 Variax 700's in public, to be honest, those things look pretty sharp. I dunno about the tone, but they look nice, and I certainly wouldn't be embarressed having one hanging on my shoulders.

On the subject though; I've actually been pretty impressed with some guitar sales-people lately. There've been two or three great, smart guys who know they stuff and respect me enough as a customer to try not to sell me whatever crap it is they have to pitch to any Joe-Idiot Impulse Buyer that walks in the door. I also stray away from the bigger stores now, it's the smaller places that don't give you crap is what I've found.

Comment

Man, what an ******* that other salesman was! Talk about not qualifying for a pitch... jeez.

BTW... Guitar Center isn't a Peavey dealer, so how did you get a 5150 from them?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
              Man, what an ******* that other salesman was! Talk about not qualifying for a pitch... jeez.

BTW... Guitar Center isn't a Peavey dealer, so how did you get a 5150 from them?
              Really? Musicians' Enema carries Peavey now.
              There's a destination a little up the road/
              from the habitations and the towns we know

Comment

I think the Variax is one of the ugliest guitars I've ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by Thee
                  Really? Musicians' Enema carries Peavey now.
                  GC does own MF but they're still separate companies.

Comment

that sucks about the sales guy.

on a seperate note, how is the js model?
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

That guy sounds like a bad telemarketer in the flesh. they should be more fixated on trying to get you EVEN MORE addicted to the JS that you've told him you have money for and less time trying to sell you something you know for sure you dont want and have a arguement against.

i find this situation to be the WORST when testing effects.

Comment

same thing happened to me a few months back in a music store.....they almost shoved a variax down my throat!!!

i wouldn't mind having one to plink around on...but for maybe about $300 bucks...?!?!
                        Originally posted by jeremy
                        God hates bad guitar tone
                        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

why not keep the JS stock? They sound great the way they are.

Comment

They must not be selling too well on the Variax, which wouldn't be surprising. It's a sound idea, but they screwed up the execution. Line 6 needs to concentrate on making more Vetta upgrades rather than plugging the Variax!
                            Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
                            Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
                            Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
                            Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
                            Marshall G15CDR
                            Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                            Marshall 1960A
                            Boss ME-50
                            ...and just a little talent.

Comment

i like the variax.....the classical nylon guitar one rocks...
                              Guitars:
                              87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
                              86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
                              87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
                              Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
                              Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
                              Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

Working...
                              X