Quality of new Jacksons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of new Jacksons?

How are these? (I know the SL1s rock) Im talking Japanese made. Ive played a few examples lately and all priced at around $600 but they were all very lite and had a cheap feel..Yesterday I played a gorgeous Kelly with Duncan Designed (Invader) pups and it played pretty good but just didnt have a solid feel.
    Are these pro level? Are they solid and just lite? (I normally play a Gibby Explorer and a very solid strat) I loved the guitar, but just didnt feel it was worth $599. Pls set me straight.. Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Quality of new Jacksons?

I think the japaneese jacksons are great, but of course i doesn´t feel as solid as a us made gibson explorer, but still very nice guitars.

Comment

well, if you play a V, there's not that much body so it's not as heavy as a kelly... i'm having an eye out for the DX10D still =P
      the quality of jacksons today is on the rise again

Comment

Those with Duncan Designed are Korean/Chinese cheap stuff.

No doubt the Japanese versions are great guitars.
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
          Those with Duncan Designed are Korean/Chinese cheap stuff.
          sorry man, but you are way wrong.. only the JS30 series is korean/indonesia/chinese whatever made and have the jackson cvr2 or whatever those pups are1. all others, the pro, x and mg series are japan made. duncan designed pups are the middle class guitars.

Comment

Jackson doesn´t make ANY guitars in Korea anymore, and never built any in china as far as i know.
            The really cheap ones are made in India though.
            And to my knowledge, all the new jacksons with duncan designed pickups are made in japan....

Comment

Hmmm.. will have to check my sources...

Korea/China/India... all the same cheap stuff
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Those with Duncan Designed are Korean/Chinese cheap stuff. ....
                Totally off, sorry. Jackson CLOSED its Korean plant / killed their deal with Samick (heard it both ways) even before the Fender takeover, IIRC it was shut down in ´99. The JS Series is "Crafted in India" (only some of the first JS-30 strats are japanese), wheras all other imports are now coming from the Chiun Su Gakki factory (Japan) which has been building Jacksons since ´86 at a high level of quality. See also the Charvel Model Series and the Jackson Professional series. Both rivaled the USA axes of the period, the Professionals were in fact 100% identical in all ways except the headstock logo (the price was identical as well, btw). That is why both lines were sacked 3-4 years after their introduction

BTW, I tried a JS-30 Rhoads and Kelly a few days ago, and was very surprised at how well they were built, very solid, decent pickups and hardware, no funky fretwork or anything. Unbelievable value for <300 bucks if you´re looking for a more "aggressive" look and tone

A Chinese, Indonesian, Malaysian.... plant has never existed, otherwise I would be the very last person supporting Jackson and not a palace guard

The quality of the Pro series ( http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?node_id=3 ) is great for the cash. While you may think thhat the Micky Mouse Floyd and DD Pickups seem sub par for that price, please take into consideration that Jackson purposels uses cheaper versions there because they KNOW from experience that most players switch them for an Original Floyd and different pickups anyway. The up-side of this is that they can spend more on better woods and craftsmanship, and it shows. Every so often one comes out of there that makes a USA Production axe look cheap as far as workmanship goes, and that´s far from easy.

For Jacksonites on a budget definitely the best choice if it has to be new. I personally prefer used USA axes in that price range, but then again I´m a luthier and couldn´t care less about what kind of problems an axe has (for a fair price of course)

And please don´t take this wrong, it´s not an attack, but Korea = China = India =

1. Anyone with the proper training, tools and materials can make an axe that will blow you away, regardless of where he/she is
                2. The main gripe most have with the chinese is their blatant disregard of human rights and international trademarks
                3. The Koreans are the next Japan, and are quite a far ways ahead of the chinese or Indians.

Jackson had problems with the "original "JS Series in India, but see3ms to have more than resolved these issues through proper training of their employees there (Jackson actually OWNS their own Indian plant, unlike most axes coming from there which are ghostbuilt similar to the way Samick ghostbuilds for almost everyone)
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

AH! Again, Zerb brought out the truth and facts!
                  But my understanding is that they're still Jacksons made in India right ?

Comment

so...
                    if i bought a js30 kingV .. i'll stop right there..

but i'd like to have a V with a floyd..
                    i'd hate to send it via postal service though.. bad headstock damages grrr

zerb, how's that RR we talked about go? how much would you want for it?
                    could you take the pickguard off if i wanted it?
                    ARGH!

>.<

Comment

Cool info!! Zerb, you rock Homie!! So, you are saying the KE3 would be a killer axe for wood and build, corners are cut on the trem and pups. This correct? Is an original floyd a direct replacement for the one that comes on it?? Im hoping the detonators will be ok for a bit. Just concerned about the trem and build.. Its so light...
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

So your saying Jacksin don't build in the human rights problems countries???

I may just have to pick me up a middle class one someday then..
                        Marshall JVM 410C
                        Mesa Boogie DC-3
                        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

The DXMG is an awesome guitar, they have a non-trem version at Guitar Center for 400 bucks btw (50 bucks less). Anyway, even my JS1 (late model, made in india) played really well, the big beef was it had a trem which I hate. Other than that, it sounded pretty good (better for metal as my LTD's duncan designed, much better sound under extreme gain, but they were hard as crud to get pinch? harmonics off). I'd say that line is great, I only got my H-207 over the Jacksons is that it was a 7-string and I like low-tunings. If you don't mind the fender-styled neck joint (blocky), then a Jackson will be awesome. I did think the JS30 series (played a JS30RR) pickups sounded kind of weak in the bass department though, I was playing through a Crate 120 Watt blue voodoo head btw)

Comment

AH! Again, Zerb brought out the truth and facts!
                            But my understanding is that they're still Jacksons made in India right ?
                            Correct, the JS-series is CiI

Originally posted by Davey
                            ....zerb, how's that RR we talked about go? how much would you want for it?
                            could you take the pickguard off if i wanted it?
                            ARGH!

>.<
                            Haven´t finished the refin yet, just too much other **** to do. The Guard you could leave off, but you´d have a big gaping hole and no place to mount the electronics

As far as Price, cheap. I´ll PM ya when she´s finally done with a pic or 2

Originally posted by BloodRose
                            Cool info!! Zerb, you rock Homie!! So, you are saying the KE3 would be a killer axe for wood and build, corners are cut on the trem and pups. This correct? Is an original floyd a direct replacement for the one that comes on it?? Im hoping the detonators will be ok for a bit. Just concerned about the trem and build.. Its so light...
                            1. I Know
                            2. Yes. Although I wouldnt say "killer", because there are better ones, but definitely a bit above par for the price range. Although the recent 15% price increase brings thios into perspective a bit more
                            3. Yes, but you may want to install the original Floyd posts as well to keep the knife edges healthier longer, but that´s no biggie.

Originally posted by y2stevo
                            So your saying Jacksin don't build in the human rights problems countries???....
                            Would I play them if they did? In other words: No, and it better stay that way

Originally posted by D-EJ915
                            .....If you don't mind the fender-styled neck joint (blocky), then a Jackson will be awesome. .....)
                            This if only partially true. Interestingly enough, I´ve seen JS with and without a contoured heel, even back in ´96 when they were introduced, and that´s the line I´d expect to be most "likely" to have blocky heels. The MG and X Series I think have for the most part Fender heels (But I´ve never seen one in person, so I may be talking out my ass here ), the Professional and USA axes have contoured heels for the most part (when not Neck-thru)
                            Last edited by Zerberus; 09-11-2004, 03:58 AM.
                            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Cheers Zerb, i always though they made their lower end stuff in one of those countries, My respect and GAS for a Jackson has now Increased.!!!

I must say you know your stuff..
                              Marshall JVM 410C
                              Mesa Boogie DC-3
                              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                              X