X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber acoustic guitar

Check this out:

CA Carbon Fiber guitar

An acoustic guitar made out of carbon fiber. I wouldn't give this much credence except for the fact that is being promoted by Shoreline Music, which I believe to be a pretty credible establishment.

If this guy can make this work for an acoustic, it seems like it ought to work for an electric. BTW - this design eliminates the need for a truss rod, and once set up, never changes. Not with heat or humidity.

Opens up all kinds of interesting possibilities. Especially in the styling dept.

Re: Carbon Fiber acoustic guitar

I think I heard something about that awhile ago. It's pretty cool looking. It would be nice to give one a try.

Comment

I wonder how the hardware and other aspects of the guitar would respond with something like that.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I vaguely remember hearing about an acoustic with a CF top from ovation... always did like ovations, despite their inherent ugliness, and the carbon fiber top doesn't do much for it appearancewise...

Interesting idea. I'd like to try one out.
        dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

I've played Rain Song acoustics and they have the same idea. However, the tone didnt' quite sound as rich as normal acoustics, the fullness wasn't quite there.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I happen to know the marketing director at CA. Those are some cool guitars--durable, stable, and play well and sound good. Not exactly wood, but you can fly across the country, take it out of the case, and it's still in tune.

guitar, carbon, weather proof, acoustic, electric

Also, a friend of mine painted the prototypes for CA. He used to be the drummer in a worship band I led.
            Last edited by LesStrat; 09-12-2004, 12:08 AM.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

ANNNDDDD, they're not turtle-backed like ovations
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I use an Adamas SMT with a carbon fiber top, with is 1/3rd the thickness of a regular top. Its rich and loud and alive acoustically and better than any acoustic I've ever heard plugged in.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat
                  I happen to know the marketing director at CA. Those are some cool guitars--durable, stable, and play well and sound good. Not exactly wood, but you can fly across the country, take it out of the case, and it's still in tune.
                  Cool. I don't suppose you could dig up a little info, could you? That is, without revealing any trade secrets or violating any trusts. I'm just curious as to how the construction is. Does he use a balsa core? Or any wooden core? Is the neck solid CF?

That kind of stuff. But stressing, not violating a trust.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    Check this out:....If this guy can make this work for an acoustic, it seems like it ought to work for an electric. BTW - this design eliminates the need for a truss rod, and once set up, never changes. Not with heat or humidity.
                    Actually, the use of carbon fiber in electrics is already more widespread than you may think. Status has been making carbon fiber bass necks for almost 20 years. In addition to their own basses, they license and sell parts to Washburn, Shack and few others I canīt remember. Fretboards are generally phenolic resin, btw.

In the Guitar department, the most notable examples are Neal Moser, who sells graphite replacement necks for just about anything Bolt on, and the Parker Fly.

The fly actually goes a bit farther than most by using light and soft tone woods (basswood or IIRC spruce) for the neck and body, and then covering the ebtire guitar in a carbon fiber paint/exoskeleton which is in essence the only thing that keeps a Fly from becoming an accordion when you put on strings.

It was only a matter of time before it would get tried on an acoustic. But this is de facto the first one Iīve heard of
                    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Great info Zerb. Thanks. I'll have to "Google" a couple of those names when I get home. I'd love to try and make a CF neck. I imagine the custom ones are out of my price range, but maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                      X