First Electric Guitar Purchase: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Electric Guitar Purchase: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Thanks, folks, for helping me enter the electric world. Your repsonses to my initial plee for help were really great and insightful; they definitely helped me focus my search for my first electric.

Now for the good stuff. My decision was only made un-easy because I got nervous about the neck on this guitar being too thin. But I played it... played it some more... and played a lot of others like and began to find the neck was silky smooth. So I ended up buying this beauty, a mint condition used 2001 Starfire-IV, natural color, for $1000. The only modification the original owner made was to remove the Guild pick-guard and replace it with a Gibson pick guard. Other than that it was obviously well taken care of. Heck, it looks brand-new. The maple to and back are in unreal condition and the neck looks harldly played. I purchased it on consignment from a really reputable music shop just outside of Philly so that helped.

She sounds awesome (as much as my green-fingers can make her sound awesome).

My amp adventure ended with me picking up a used Tech 21. I'd like to fool with that for a while to try and hone what tube sound I'm looking for. I figure I can probably sell it for only a small loss when the time comes. You gotta learn somewhere.

So thanks to those who took the time to help out... now I just have to hope I don't offend my wife's and kids' ears!

TA

Re: First Electric Guitar Purchase: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

congrats! ... play in good health .. she's a real beauty
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

nice git, gonna post some clips?
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by TS Anderson

Thanks, folks, for helping me enter the electric world. Your repsonses to my initial plee for help were really great and insightful; they definitely helped me focus my search for my first electric.

Now for the good stuff. My decision was only made un-easy because I got nervous about the neck on this guitar being too thin. But I played it... played it some more... and played a lot of others like and began to find the neck was silky smooth. So I ended up buying this beauty, a mint condition used 2001 Starfire-IV, natural color, for $1000. The only modification the original owner made was to remove the Guild pick-guard and replace it with a Gibson pick guard. Other than that it was obviously well taken care of. Heck, it looks brand-new. The maple to and back are in unreal condition and the neck looks harldly played. I purchased it on consignment from a really reputable music shop just outside of Philly so that helped.

She sounds awesome (as much as my green-fingers can make her sound awesome).

My amp adventure ended with me picking up a used Tech 21. I'd like to fool with that for a while to try and hone what tube sound I'm looking for. I figure I can probably sell it for only a small loss when the time comes. You gotta learn somewhere.

So thanks to those who took the time to help out... now I just have to hope I don't offend my wife's and kids' ears!

TA
        That's your very first electric?

There aren't a lot of guitars out there I'm really impressed by or would consider purchasing, but that guitar is one of them, you have very good taste
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
          That's your very first electric?

There aren't a lot of guitars out there I'm really impressed by or would consider purchasing, but that guitar is one of them, you have very good taste
          Yeah, dude. I've been playing for about 9 months. My first was an acoustic... but I'm hooked... and this one just drew me in.

If I ever have any post-worthy clips I'll try and get them up.

TA

Comment

Great guitar at a pretty darn good price I might add.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

That's a great guitar. Guild makes some really nice stuff. I also have to say that for a first electric you hit the jackpot. It also helps when you're a little older and start...more $$ for the toys.

Enjoy and play in good health.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by TS Anderson
                Yeah, dude. I've been playing for about 9 months. My first was an acoustic... but I'm hooked... and this one just drew me in.

If I ever have any post-worthy clips I'll try and get them up.

TA
                I post clips and mine definitely aren't worthy so go right ahead
                Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                Originally posted by Zerberus
                Better is often the enemy of good
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Nice Score On That Guild ....they Are Great Guitars My Freinds Dad
                  Ownes 5 Or Six Different Guilds ( Acustics And Electrics)
                  So Enjoy...

Stewie
                  "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Great guitar - enjoy it I am sure you will. It's funny but with your forum name I thought you might be getting an Anderson guitar!!
                    Normans Guitars

Comment

dude my first electric was a yamaha pacifica $150 dollards, i wish my parents would buy me 1000 dollards guitars
                      Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
                      Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
                      Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
                      Yamaha Pacifica , stock
                      epiphone acoustic
                      marshall combo
                      cry baby wah
                      monster cables

Comment

congratulations on accomplishing your mission!!!

awesome guitar...and a tech 21 too...!!!???

major scores!!!

NEW STUFF ROCKS!!!

which tech 21 did you get?
                        Originally posted by jeremy
                        God hates bad guitar tone
                        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss
                          congratulations on accomplishing your mission!!!

awesome guitar...and a tech 21 too...!!!???

major scores!!!

NEW STUFF ROCKS!!!

which tech 21 did you get?
                          Thanks. I went for the Trademark 10 only because I'm not looking to blow the doors off anything (yet) and my only real playing time comes when the kids are in bed. I'm hoping it will do me well.

Comment

i still want a hollowbody LOL

great guitar man. i wish i had that kind of budget and such a forum when i was buying my gear. i wouldnt yearn so much about better stuff now.

these guys RAWK!

Comment

Excellent choice!!!! I smell the birth of a "new" blues man in the PHILI area comin down the road!!
                              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                              X