Acoustic Setup Help - GJ and others!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Setup Help - GJ and others!

Since it's raining cat's and pitchforks here in Charlotte thanks to Ivan, I'm going to give my Taylor a good once over. Outside of changing the strings, lubing the nut, oiling the fretboard, ect...is there anything else to do on an acoustic?

I know GJ and others were talking about pro setups on acoustics, and I'm searching for the thread now, but can't find it as of yet.

Thanks for the help.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Acoustic Setup Help - GJ and others!

Acoustic Guitars tend to be a little more finicky in setups than electrics. All that you mentioned are good things to do. I would also check the relief in the neck. A new guitars neck will move around a lot. When I had my Taylor it took about a year for the neck to settle down. Just be careful when oiling the fingerboard. Don't leave the lemon oil on to long as this can loosen the frets. I prefer to have two saddles, one for the winter and one for the summer. As the air begins to dry out and essentially the wood the action will change. Cut a saddle to the desired height so you can just switch it when the humidity changes. This will make it easier to keep the guitar playing the way you want it too. Some people will shim the saddle to accomplish this although this can cause some contact problems if you have a under the saddle pup.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Exactly how do you check the relief? I had the truss rod adjusted on my Yamaha a couple of months ago, and it's still not right.
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

On acoustics, since there are no saddles to intonate, you can still make slight truss rod adjustments after an action job. Those companies basically set the intonation to be perfect, provided the nut, action, and truss rod is all correct.

The guideline for truss rods is to hold down the low E at the 1st fret and the fret that meets the body....14th. There should be just a glimmer of light between the 7th fret and bottom of the E string. Barely enough to slide a thin pick into.

Get an idea of how much lower you want the saddle to be...low and high side.
        Pull the saddle out by wrapping a matchbook cover over it and pulling it out with pliers.
        I keep the strings on the guitar, but loose, so I can always put the saddle back in, tighten the strings, and see where I'm at, regarding the action.
        Put a sheet of sandpaper on a table, and run the bottom of the saddle across it a few times, to remove a bit of mass off the bottomside. Be careful to keep the saddle flat, but also make sure to not remove too much from it, otherwise you'll have to start over with a new saddle. Everytime you get closer to the desired action, reinstall the saddle to see how the guitar is playing. What you want is action that is JUST ABOVE the point where fretbuzz begins. You want the action high enough on both sides so that your guitar still sounds rich and full, but low enough that it plays nicely without annoying buzz. Just do a little at a time, and you won't harm anything.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Jeff, is it me or is their a guitar missing from your signature?

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
            Jeff, is it me or is their a guitar missing from your signature?
            Yeah, I need to update it, but see my new post first.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
            X