banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me planning my rig (Non-americna ebayers, Marshall amps and matching pickups)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me planning my rig (Non-americna ebayers, Marshall amps and matching pickups)

I'd been playing for a while just with my 30watts valvestate, a LP copy, a crappy Zoom multieffects and a Crybaby, but the time has come to do rehearsals with my band and do some live shows when we're ready!

My plan is getting a pair of Les Pauls from Ebay, has any non-american ebayer here got any problem with it sometime?

Ampwise, I'm tending for the marshall sound that I like a lot. I will not need full black metal gain, though our music will primary be hard rock in the 70's and 80's fashion. I'm lending about the DSL: everybody here and there talk wonders about the 800 series, but the DSL has some modern appointments that I'd like (like an effects loop and footswitchable reverb and channel). Also, I think the TSL is a bit to much for me, don't you think? (I also think it looks a bit ugiler... ) By the way, I'd chose the 50 watts version

Do you think I'm right with the amps? Also the pickups will be very important: I'd need a pair of totally harmonic pickups that has tons of overtones and goes into musical harmonic feedback nice andd easy. Also, clean it should give me nice country and western tones. Will the famous JB / 59 or Jazz combination give it to me? To achieve this tones is better to hacve a picup that can be coil splitted?

Thanks a lot for the replies

Re: Help me planning my rig (Non-americna ebayers, Marshall amps and matching pickups)

For a great rock tone, a Les Paul + a Marshall is a classic combination!

In relation to buying off ebay, if you choose wisely you won't have problems. Check feedback for anything suspicious and ask questions before you bid to see if the seller answers.

If you're in Europe, try ebay.co.uk or ebay.de if you understand German... No tax that way, although prices are higher and less gear to look through.
    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Re: Help me planning my rig (Non-americna ebayers, Marshall amps and matching pickups)

lp and a marshall, very classic and good tone. the pickups will be very important too and i think from what you have said that a jb in the bridge of one would be great matched with a jazz neck. i think you should have a different set of pickups in the other lp somethign with a different flavor like a C5b/59n combo. I really like the 59n that i have in my bluesbird and i think it will cover a lot of range for you and the C5 as GJ says is like a PAF on steriods. good luck putting this rig together and let us know how it turns out.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I support you 100% with the DSL50 .. Great Amp, Honestly the reason i didn't get the TSL was because i just preferred the sound quality of the DSL, All the functions and channels were very tempting but im so Glad and i do not regret getting the DSL over the TSL one bit.. The Modern features of the DSL are great as you said you were looking for, effects loop , switchable channels and reverb.Although you would have to buy another footswitch to use the channel and reverb switch at the same time, as there is a seperate jack input for the channel footswitch and reverb footswitch...

I like you am also a Big Marshall Tone Fan, love AC/DCs to Maidens and the DSL can nail both and all inbetween..There is also alot more gain on tap if you need it but I dont go overboard with gain either..

Also the 50watter is plenty (if not too much ) for anything your gonna need..
        As with all tube amps you do need to crank it to get the best out of their OD channels, For me the DSL starts to really come alive at about 4 on the volume, For me about 6-7 would be gig volumes and it sounds killer right there..For home practise and rehersals I'd use the Weber Mass attenuator, you really don't have to get one, its basically just a convienience or accessory that isn't really needed though, but a cool one to have for messing about..

Where abouts in Europe are you by the way?
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I'm form Spain, Barcelona exactly. We also have the www.es.ebay.com, but the prices suck badly, is almost like goingo to a store, where Gibsons can get incredibly and stupidly high......... for a 80's LP custom, 2600 Euros, new, it can very well reach and pass the 4000......... that's silly...

It seems I will go well with a DSL head..... thanks a lot for the replies. One thing I don't understand on this amp: it has two channel, and a boost option, right? So, yo can (by switchfoot) change from Clean (cahnnel 1 non pushed) to channel 2 pushed? Or is the boost fixed and not changeable by footswitch,...

Any way, if some of you DSL usrs can tell me how you have your amp set and the number of differents sounds you can get live by using a switchboard, I'd be very tnahkful....

About the pickups, I'd better post it in the pichup lounge,
          Thanks for the replies

Comment

Come guys? any DSL user out there?
            I wanna know better about the boost hting and the total of footswitchbale sounds this head has....

Comment

DSL's will give you one channel that's a big fat clean tone like a vintage Marshall or Bluesbreaker. Channel two will give you everything from AC/DC to Zakk Wylde type highgain. You can always find them used, and I'd get a 50W. Plenty loud!
              If you want the Marshall sound with lots of versatility, get that.

On Ebay, the bigger Ebay stores will more likely deal with international sales, because they have more experience. Private parties usually want a US money order and no hassles, so they say lower 48 US states only.

Any Les paul type guitar sounds great into a Marshall with a Custom 5, Custom, CC, or JB. I like C-5/59 because it's got tight bass, nice output and tone, and covers a lot of musical ground.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

LOL!!!!I love your signature GJ! Hot n tasty licks!
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

As to ebay.
                  Buy carefully, look at as much of their feedback as possible and try and avoid people who have bought something like 50 Blank sheets of recyclable paper and then puts on a mesa boogie triple rectifier for 200 dollars.
                  It IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE sometimes.

Always ask for more photos and always ask for a general cosmetic condition rating out of 10 and a picture of any scratches/marks. Ask if the general workings of the product are 100% and if they dont reply. Dont bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
                    As to ebay.
                    Buy carefully, look at as much of their feedback as possible and try and avoid people who have bought something like 50 Blank sheets of recyclable paper and then puts on a mesa boogie triple rectifier for 200 dollars.
                    It IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE sometimes.

Always ask for more photos and always ask for a general cosmetic condition rating out of 10 and a picture of any scratches/marks. Ask if the general workings of the product are 100% and if they dont reply. Dont bid.
                    Thanks a lot for the info

Can you tell me some famous and cheap ebay store? I'd search for myself later on, though. I'd probably go with anew one int erms of amp, because of the warranty, but I've heard some ebay stores have good policies about that.
                    I'll let you know how it goes

And talking of 4x12: It it recomendable to get a used cab and change the speakers rather than buy a new one? Would the proce difference make it woth it?

Comment

If you mean the Bass Boost, No you cannot switch it from the footswitch, and also unfortunatly it does affect the Clean Channel also..For me its not a problem as i use a trebly gain tone and the clean just sounds nice with the same eq as the OD..Im sure there is a mod you could do to it so it didnt work like that but even when i used a heavy bass gain sound it didnt really bother me that much, as the tones you can get from it make up for it IMO..
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                        If you mean the Bass Boost, No you cannot switch it from the footswitch, and also unfortunatly it does affect the Clean Channel also..For me its not a problem as i use a trebly gain tone and the clean just sounds nice with the same eq as the OD..Im sure there is a mod you could do to it so it didnt work like that but even when i used a heavy bass gain sound it didnt really bother me that much, as the tones you can get from it make up for it IMO..
                        I actually meant this kind of boost function that can turn clena into pushed or lead 1 into lead 2, is it footswitchable?

y2stevo, how you normally got your amp and footswitches set??

Comment

y2stevo out there?

Comment

Working...
                          X