What cab size/brand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cab size/brand?

Overall im looking for a good balance between price, bass response and portability. I play indie rock, 'stoner' rock, metal, classic rock, blues. But the main thing will be the hard rock/metal stuff.

So, i can grab a marshall 4x10 at my local for £200, and a Marshall 1936 2x12 for the same price on line.

Give me your recomendations for cab sizes and brands.
    2x12
    54.55%
    4x10
    9.09%
    4x12
    36.36%
    "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Re: What cab size/brand?

I voted 2x12. It's the most portable of the three and (provided it's closed back) will have good bass response, though less than a 4x12. It depends on the size of gigs you expect to play and how much of an issue portability is. For pub/club gigs a 2x12 is fine and it's a lot easier to get in and out of a car than a 4x12. Regarding the speakers themselves, a Celestion V30 with a G12H is an excellent combo for rock styles.

Comment

I voted 212 only because of the portability reasons/price reasons.

If you can afford the extra cash and can fit a 412, I'd say go with that.
      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

What are the main differences between 2x12 and 4x12?
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

A 4x12 is twice as many...

Comment

For gigging your gonna want a 2x12. Trust me, 4x12s are way to big and heavy to have to haul around to gigs.
            Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-28-2004, 06:07 PM.
            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
            Roland Cube 60
            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
            Mogami Cables
            Mooer Candy Toppers
            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
              What are the main differences between 2x12 and 4x12?
              The 4x12 has a bigger sound than the 2x12 because of the 2 additional 12" speakers the 4x12 has. Thats the only difference that comes to mind.
              Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-28-2004, 06:22 PM.
              Roland Cube 60
              Mogami Cables
              Mooer Candy Toppers
              Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                I voted 212 only because of the portability reasons/price reasons.

If you can afford the extra cash and can fit a 412, I'd say go with that.
                He wants portability though. 4x12 cabs are far from portable. I have a Mesa 4x12 Cab and it weighs 130lbs and is very big and bulky. It takes 2 people to carry a 4x12 in comparison to a 2x12 which can be easily carried by one person. I used to own a Mesa 2x12 cab and it was alot more desireable for gigging purposes because it was alot more portable. Later I sold it though and upgraded to a 4x12 because I wanted a bigger sound.
                Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-28-2004, 06:30 PM.
                Roland Cube 60
                Mogami Cables
                Mooer Candy Toppers

Comment

+1 for a 4x12. It sounds bigger, and it's really not that big of a deal to move around. The only time you'll ever need two people to carry it is if you're going up or down stairs.

The only reason i would advise anyone not to get a 4x12 is if it can't fit in your car. You don't have much of a choice if it doesn't fit in your vehicle. But if it does, then go all out, get the 4x12 man!
                  gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
                  '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
                  mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
                  marshall 1960A 4x12
                  and a few pedals

Comment

I'm faced with the same problem.

I'm going with a 2x12 simply because of portability.
                    But when i get enuf cash i will get a 4x12 ALSO.
                    So I can run the 4x12 and 2x12 ontop. And at small gigs just have the 2x12.

Comment

I'd go with a closed-back 2x12... you'll get better portability but more bass woof than an open cab. Personally I have a Marshall 1960AX cab with wheels and I love it... i gotta be careful hauling it around though, but it fits like a glove in the trunk of my car.

4x12s give you more speaker coverage and more bass as well which makes it APPEAR that you're louder too.

For a well-built, affordable, custom cab go to www.avatarspeakers.com

Comment

What about a 1x15"?

I vote for 4x12" + wheels. I think if I can stuff the whole rig into my miniature Toyota Yaris you won't have any problems with carrying in any car. In my opinion 2x12" cabs have a littlebit more bite and slightly less lows but somehow much less audible volume or projection. I always sounded and felt better with a big cab.

As speakers go the combination that Simon F advised is great. You may test-ride Greenbacks, they work great in the dark side, too A note: if you go that way, in my experience a 4x Greenback cab (classic traditional speakers, each rated 25W) works best with a 50W head. With a 100W amp you have to be very careful with your volume setting since you might even damage your speaker.
                        Wackor
                        Ørdøg
                        NecroPolo
                        Diabolus in Musica
                        SIDrip Alliance
                        Book of Shadows
                        RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo
                          As speakers go the combination that Simon F advised is great. You may test-ride Greenbacks, they work great in the dark side, too A note: if you go that way, in my experience a 4x Greenback cab (classic traditional speakers, each rated 25W) works best with a 50W head. With a 100W amp you have to be very careful with your volume setting since you might even damage your speaker.
                          Funny you should mention that, as I'm looking to build my own custom cabinet with 4 Greenbacks in it running off of a 100 watt head

Another thing you could do is have 2 Greenbacks and 2 V30's if you have 100 watt head, and if you go to Mic the cab, just mic the greenback speaker(s)
                          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
                          X