Verse -> Chorus guitar volume change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verse -> Chorus guitar volume change?

Ok, some of my band's songs have pretty heavy riffs which kick-off the song then repeat under the verses. Obviously when the song starts the volume of the guitar has to sit just right in the live mix, but I have a voice very similarly pitched to the guitar, so when the vocal starts, even though I'm sing fairly loud, it blends into the guitar.

So should the guitar level drop slightly in the verses to allow room for the vocal?

I figure I can use my Bad Bob Boost to achieve this if I just set it at a level less than unity so when I switch it on for verses the guitar level drops slightly.

What do you think?
    Last edited by No_Where_Fast; 09-29-2004, 05:07 AM.
    My set-up:
    Warmoth Jazzmaster with SD '59(n) SD Duncan Custom(b) / Ric 330 / Fender Comp Mustang (CIJ) with SD lil' 59(b) & flush switches! / G&L Tribute S500 >> John Spina (Stratdeluxer) Modded Vox 847 Wah (SWEET!) >> Carl Martin Hot Drive n' Boost 2 >> EHX 'Shaved Muff' (Rehoused Big Muff) >> Orange Rockerverb 50 combo!

Oh, and a Martin 000-15S!

Gatherin' dust:
    Keeley TS9-DX Flexi, Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, Catalinbread SCOD, Boss Line Selector, RGW Bad Bob Boost

Re: Verse -> Chorus guitar volume change?

record it and experiment.
    ask the rest of the band

Comment

yeah, its usually a good idea to let the vocals be loudest during parts when there are vocals ...

roll back the volume knob when you sing?

pick lighter when you sing?

volume pedal?

the BBB solution seems like it would work too, if it doesnt color the tone unpleasantly

good luck
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Most definitely, yes. If you leave space fort the vocals the overall sound of your band will improve. The thing that works for me is to use slightly less gain on the amp that I would normally use. As you roll back a littlebit the gain pot the compression will be decreased so your playing dynamics will come through better. When a verse comes I just play softer. When the chorus comes I beat the shyyt out from the axe. As a positive advantage, less distortion comes with better definition that also improves overall band sound.

As a less positive advantage, you have to play better because there is less dirt to cover your a$$
        Last edited by NecroPolo; 09-29-2004, 08:09 AM.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Forget vocals! You are a guitar player

Actually, in the real world, the vocals should be very up front if you want to be taken seriously. You can get creative with panning, and stereo effects also. It's always a challenge, but you should take a lot of time in the final mix.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll try out a few of your suggestions in practice tonight!
            My set-up:
            Warmoth Jazzmaster with SD '59(n) SD Duncan Custom(b) / Ric 330 / Fender Comp Mustang (CIJ) with SD lil' 59(b) & flush switches! / G&L Tribute S500 >> John Spina (Stratdeluxer) Modded Vox 847 Wah (SWEET!) >> Carl Martin Hot Drive n' Boost 2 >> EHX 'Shaved Muff' (Rehoused Big Muff) >> Orange Rockerverb 50 combo!

Oh, and a Martin 000-15S!

Gatherin' dust:
            Keeley TS9-DX Flexi, Tech 21 Sansamp GT2, Catalinbread SCOD, Boss Line Selector, RGW Bad Bob Boost

Comment

Definitely a +1 for rolling back on the volume pot.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                Forget vocals! You are a guitar player
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Working...
                X