Changing Tubes in JMP-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Tubes in JMP-1

I feel really dumb here. But for some reason I can't figure out how to get the top off of my JMP-1 to change the pre-amp tubes. I've uncrewed everything that can be unscrewed. Does anyone have experience with these?

Re: Changing Tubes in JMP-1

there are black allen screws on the sides
    just take them off and u will be right

on this topic
    wats the best type of tubes to put in there?

Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

i put groove tubes in mine, not sure the specific 12ax7s
      Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
      gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
      SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

I think GT12AX7C's ($14) would be a good choice. They have nice smooth gain, and very tight low end. My other choice would be Sovtek 12AX7LPS. Those are my favorite two preamp tubes for amps designed for gain. Your cleans will be tight and glassy as well. Other Sovteks tend to be harsh or bright. The GT (mullard copy) may be too gainy and mud out. The JJ's will be fat, but less tight sounding and cleaner.
        I've done some real 'hair splitting' on preamp tube shootouts, so these suggestions have a lot of hours of swapping behind them. At one point, I had a JMP-1, but never bothered to change it's pres, but that was back before I got really into tubes.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

12AX7LPS all the way
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! Now I just gotta find the right size allen screw...hehe.

I'm not..enamored with the JMP-1 yet. It sounds okay. I really need to re-tube it I suppose. For all I know the tubes have been in there for 10 years P. I like it...its just sounds a bit...dead. That really could be the tubes so I'll see.

I've got some of those 12AX7Cs coming. Not groove tubes, I got them from The Tube Store and they're Shuagang. Same tube, GT takes em and relabels them. (I know they do some other stuff but still!) I'll also probably order some of those Sovteks just to compare how I like each. I also re-tubed my power amp with those SED Winged C 6L6GCs, so I have a lot of playing..err testing!, to do. My wife is going to have to put on ear plugs because I'm really going to be cranking my rig to test these things out hehe.
            Last edited by Jeff5; 10-01-2004, 08:38 AM.

Comment

try some NOS telefunken or some JAN 5751. good stuff for those.
              germ
              Jeremy Ledford
              Tone Guru Extroardinaire
              Tone Shop

Comment

Those Shuguangs are the same tube, just less expensive, since they don't have GT's label. With those in the pre, and =C= Svets in the power amp, I'm sure you'll be able to tweak all the possibilities in the JMP-1, and arrive at a killer sound. Now, it's just up to the pickups, brand of power amp, and a stereo speaker cab. As long as you spend time with the preamp, I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X